🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

[4e5]Discuss: Emotion

Started by
102 comments, last by GameDev.net 17 years, 8 months ago
Quote: Original post by Stompy9999
I was thinking of a Turn based strategy game, where the emotions of your soldiers effect how well they fight.

For instance, when you've lost alot of units, your soldiers will become depressed at losing comrades. Certain rookie soldiers will find a nearby town, get greedy, and pillage it rather than fighting the enemy. The game will have a focus on disciplining your soldiers, so they give in less to their emotions on the battlefield.

Also, you can get status reports from your soldiers, where they will either praise the player for commanding well, or insult the player for playing poorly.

Will all of this be fine for the emotion elemnt?

Yes, that sounds fine.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Advertisement
Quote: Original post by milesz
What about something like the diplomacy feature of Civilization IV?

My idea is to give NPC's some regular characteristics that do not change (like the person's greed), as well as an attitude towards the player that is changing according to the actions of the player or other events (we could call these emotions).

Would this qualify as the concept of emotions?

Anybody? Please?
Quote: Original post by Anonymous Poster

My idea is to give NPC's some regular characteristics that do not change (like the person's greed), as well as an attitude towards the player that is changing according to the actions of the player or other events (we could call these emotions).

Anybody? Please?

(Sorry forgot to log in).

I've not played CivIV, so I'm not really sure... it sounds like you're talking about giving NPCs 'personality,' which isn't really enough. It might work if you were really explicit about it.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

So, does that mean that relationship building and social interaction doesn't count as emotion? If one of the main parts of the game is dealing with 5 npcs and building relationships with them does that count as emotion. Depending on how you interact with the, and what you've done in the past to them and others will determine how they feel about you and thus what options are available to you when you interact with them.
No reply regarding the use of vengeance as the emotional element? I'm not sure whether its enough or do I need to add more emotions like guilt or something.

Oh and one more thing, does the emotion element need to be part of the gameplay mechanics itself (like an andrenaline meter to power attacks), or does the game only need to evoke emotions, through a well told story (like Max Payne)?
Quote: Original post by TechnoGoth
So, does that mean that relationship building and social interaction doesn't count as emotion? If one of the main parts of the game is dealing with 5 npcs and building relationships with them does that count as emotion. Depending on how you interact with the, and what you've done in the past to them and others will determine how they feel about you and thus what options are available to you when you interact with them.

If we're talking about working with their emotions as a gameplay element, as a very explicit mechanism, then that's OK. I got the impression that milesz was more talking about modelling some emotions 'under the hood' to influence outward behaviour, which wouldn't really make the emotion element obvious enough.

If we're talking about a game like Kisses, which sounds quite similar to what you're describing, then that would be OK.

So the emotion element has to be implemented as a game mechanic? That is, you're not allowed to make an adventure game which focuses heavily on telling a character-driven story? Like Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy, without the "sanity" bar or whatever they called it.

If so, what does the "...set in a world fueled by greed" statement mean?
------------------"Kaka e gott" - Me
Quote: Original post by Srekel
If so, what does the "...set in a world fueled by greed" statement mean?

I'd like some clarification on this too. Some of my ideas are based more around the other three elements and I'd have to make Emotion more of a background plot detail.

For example, to take some of the ideas I've pondering where the Emotion element is weakest, are these okay?
  • A competition where the player is competing for national pride.
  • An old classic gameplay objective: the player is trying to restore happiness to their village/country/continent, or trying to banish fear.
In the project i'm working on - Nightmare. My emotional target is the player. The goal of the game is to instill Terror, Fear and Anticipation into the player throughout the story.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement