🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

[4e5]Discuss: Emotion

Started by
102 comments, last by GameDev.net 17 years, 8 months ago
What about a real time stragegy game where controlling the emotion of your population is a key element. We've all seen games where lowering the tax rate makes people happy, but what if it was a bit more involved...

If you don't invest enough in education, your tech advancement stagnates. But, if you invest too much in education, there will be too many people intelligent enough to be suspicious of your plans to take over the world.

If you have too much war, the people will become upset. But, if you have no war at all, you have no patriotic fervor in the population to use to boost production.

Own all the media, and you can prevent bad news from getting out, but nobody will trust you. Don't own enough of the media, and people will generally trust you but never hear your message.

I don't have an actual game design to go with the idea, and I won't be taking the time to do it for the contest. So, if anybody wants to steal the idea, it could be fun, so have at it! :)
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by hplus0603
I would assume that an RPG where combat skills work better when your character is in a rage, sneaking works better when you're calm, etc, would also qualify. I e, some games have the "berserker" skill, but if you could refine that further, and create a rule set for how the character's emotional state changes (drinking, hungry, meeting pretty girls, etc), that might make for an interesting take on emotion.
Yep, sounds good to me. As I said, I need to modify the element page to say "... or the concept of Emotion in general."

Quote: Oh, and the "No AO rating" rule probably puts a limit to the range of emotions ;-)
Oh, yeah. Damn [wink] Still, there's quite a lot you can imply without crossing the line...

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Is awe an emotion? If an entry is sufficiently awesome, does it automatically qualify? :)
Quote: Original post by Beer Hunter
Is awe an emotion? If an entry is sufficiently awesome, does it automatically qualify? :)

Try harder [grin]

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

">Emotion

---
Michael Tanczos
www.emotioneric.com

great examples to be found here... Its a joke, but there really are some great examples
Can vengeance be used as a strong enough emotion? Of course, I'm talking about exagerated vengeance, where people in the game are constantly plotting revenge against one another, kinda like the mafia.

And no, I'm not making a mafia game. Feel free to use the idea though. :D
Quote: Original post by blanko
Can vengeance be used as a strong enough emotion? Of course, I'm talking about exagerated vengeance, where people in the game are constantly plotting revenge against one another, kinda like the mafia.

And no, I'm not making a mafia game. Feel free to use the idea though. :D

Sounds like a good Spy vs. Spy game, though! ;)
I was thinking of a Turn based strategy game, where the emotions of your soldiers effect how well they fight.

For instance, when you've lost alot of units, your soldiers will become depressed at losing comrades. Certain rookie soldiers will find a nearby town, get greedy, and pillage it rather than fighting the enemy. The game will have a focus on disciplining your soldiers, so they give in less to their emotions on the battlefield.

Also, you can get status reports from your soldiers, where they will either praise the player for commanding well, or insult the player for playing poorly.

Will all of this be fine for the emotion elemnt?
-----------------------------Play Stompy's Revenge! Now!
What about something like the diplomacy feature of Civilization IV?

My idea is to give NPC's some regular characteristics that do not change (like the person's greed), as well as an attitude towards the player that is changing according to the actions of the player or other events (we could call these emotions).

Would this qualify as the concept of emotions?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement