🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

[4e5]Discuss: Emotion

Started by
102 comments, last by GameDev.net 17 years, 8 months ago
I will use rain and fog/mist to inspire sadness and loneliness in the user, giving a silent-ish attitude, if there is such a thing. I may also make it at night. Do I have to specifically say "<main charactor> is sad", or can it merely be implied?
Advertisement
If it evokes the feeling in the player (or they can tell it's there), that should be fine.
Ollie "It is better to ask some of the questions than to know all the answers." ~ James Thurber[ mdxinfo | An iridescent tentacle | Game design patterns ]
Quote: Original post by Oluseyi
Quote: Original post by d000hg
I like the idea of trying to inspire 'boredom' in the player - I can make a really lacklustre game and get loads of points, right?

Boredom isn't an emotion :-P

Google'ing for a list of emotions turns up two decent lists:

Wikipedia's List
Changingminds.org's List(s)

The former believes boredom qualifies as an emotion, the latter disagrees. Further searching turns up more sources for each side.
Quote: Original post by superpig
Yes - I'd better update the page to explain that the element is "a particular Emotion, or the concept of Emotion in general."

In light of this, would "lack of emotion", as a significant story element, be acceptable? For example an android who wishes he could feel emotion (think Star Trek pre-Generations Data), a trauma victim having to adjust to being unable to experience emotion, etc.

<edit>
Quote: Original post by Run_The_Shadows
Google'ing for a list of emotions turns up two decent lists:

Wikipedia's List
Changingminds.org's List(s)

The former believes boredom qualifies as an emotion, the latter disagrees. Further searching turns up more sources for each side.
Interestingly, none of those lists include greed:
Quote: 4E5 Elements Page, Emotion
...or set your game in a world fuelled by greed.
[lol]
</edit>

Σnigma
Is nationalism considered an emotion? Pride in one's country? If it is, then I shotgun it. :)
Mike Popoloski | Journal | SlimDX
Ok, I have a question. You say it have to evoke a particular feeling or emotion in the player. What if I have an idea where game play is actually based on creatures' emotions? Would that qualify, or does it have to evoke an emotion in the player?
Is pride an emotion?
______________________________________________________________________________________With the flesh of a cow.
You can feel proud about an achievement so I'd hope so - making the player proud to get a record score for example. Unless a definitive list of 'allowed emotions' is published I think anything which involves feelings must be acceptable - but you might have to make it obvious somehow if it's something the player should feel rather than part of the story.
Just to be clear, we'll be looking for things that go above and beyond the usual achievement/frustration range experienced by players in something like Tetris. You could pull off something like pride if you really made a big effort to congratulate the player for a job well done - name in lights, trophy presentation, shaking hands with world leaders, etc.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

I would assume that an RPG where combat skills work better when your character is in a rage, sneaking works better when you're calm, etc, would also qualify. I e, some games have the "berserker" skill, but if you could refine that further, and create a rule set for how the character's emotional state changes (drinking, hungry, meeting pretty girls, etc), that might make for an interesting take on emotion.

Oh, and the "No AO rating" rule probably puts a limit to the range of emotions ;-)
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement