🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

[4e5]Discuss: Emotion

Started by
102 comments, last by GameDev.net 17 years, 8 months ago
Fine.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Advertisement
I am making a hybrid RTS/TBS game, and I was wondering if this counts for emotion:

[quote=Game's Manual]The emotion is pride, and will be shown in several ways. Using story writing, it will repeatedly imply pride. For winning you will get awards, which people normally affiliate with pride. Also, in dialog, you will often hear terms like "Show some pride!"[/quote]

Now, I couldn't find the exact answer after reading the topic, because most of them were asking about having the unit's have individual emotions.
As it says on the Elements page, when it comes to evoking emotion in the player, "We're looking for things that go above and beyond the usual range experienced by players in something like Tetris." If you're going to base your approach on getting awards, it needs to really congratulate the player to make them feel clearly proud. What people "normally" feel is not enough.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

I was wondering wherever interest is considered an emotion. That is, if I have all sorts of "Interesting Facts" in my game, will that be enough?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement