🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

RPGs only medieval?

Started by
50 comments, last by Wavinator 23 years, 9 months ago
Hey! I like BBS games!

-Chris Bennett ("Insanity" of Dwarfsoft)

Check our site:
http://www.crosswinds.net/~dwarfsoft/
Check out our NPC AI Mailing List :
http://www.egroups.com/group/NPCAI/
made due to popular demand here at GDNet :)
Advertisement
Crap, I should have checked this board back in July. People were talking about futuristic RPGs back then!!!

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
By Futuristic RPGs you would mean something along the lines of Star Trek, Alternity, Space Master, Traveller, Starship Troopers, etc.

This type of RPG would be most enjoyable in a free form world where you decide the course and career of your character. Will I join the Academy, become a free trader, a smuggler, etc. The elements that make an RPG like this fun are of course exploration (space and planet fall), technology, and solving the mysteries encountered. There would not be any special powers or abilities so Star Wars or my own Zenfar would not be included in this category.

Still this could make an exciting game, we will probably see cross-over SciFi-Fantasy games first, or even Fantasy games with SciFi elements. Put eventually games of this type will become more common. The problem might be that they will be more action oriented than role-playing.

Glen Martin
Dynamic Adventures Inc.
Zenfar
Glen Martin
Dynamic Adventures Inc.
Zenfar
There USED to be non-medival style RPGs. Back in the days of the first edition of AD&D, there were two that I can think of: GAMMAWORLD, and BOOT HILL. But, nobody liked them...Darwinism is what brought the medival RPG to it''s throne. the Medival style was the one the greater portion of the people liked!
There USED to be non-medival style RPGs. Back in the days of the first edition of
AD&D, there were two that I can think of: GAMMAWORLD, and BOOT HILL. But, nobody
liked them...Darwinism is what brought the medival RPG to it''s throne. the Medival style
was the one the greater portion of the people liked!
What about Villians & Vigilantes, Traveller, Lords of Creation (just to mention a few).

"A man can't just sit around." 'Lawn Chair' Larry Walters (1982)
"A man can't just sit around." 'Lawn Chair' Larry Walters (1982)
I agree that as a whole the fantasy setting for any type of game (not just an RPG) has been WAAAAY overused... that doesn''t mean there haven''t been some really good ones, but my favorite RPGs have been Deus Ex and System Shock 2 for a good while now.

Hi there, I''m AnCcE, and you''d be too if you weren''t somebody else.
Hi there, I''m AnCcE, and you''d be too if you weren''t somebody else.
Don''t forget Champions, Rifts, Top Secret, and Deadlands!

Support Non-Fantasy CRPGs

Fallout 2

Fallout

Dues Ex

Vampire: The Masquerade Redemption

Glen Martin
Dynamic Adventures Inc.
Zenfar
Has anyone seen a PC or console RPG or adventure game that''s real, heavy-duty sci-fi or modern fantasy? I mean with sociology and biology and coherent worldbuilding and real non-western cultures? Preferably a civilization that''s supposed to have evolved completely independant of Earth''s influence. I''d pay big money for one of those if it had decent graphics.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

What I am working on is somewhat similiar to what you are looking for. For one thing Earth does not exsist in the universe that contains Zenfar...

Zenfar takes place on an alien plane in a sea of Aether known as the GigaDim. Long ago, the plane was populated by a race of simple humanoids: the dwellers. These primitive peoples lived deep in the safety of natural caves that dotted the mountain ranges of their world. When, in the fullness of time, they began to develop shelters above ground, an alien race far superior to them drove them once again into the ground...more

Glen Martin
Dynamic Adventures Inc.
Zenfar
Glen Martin
Dynamic Adventures Inc.
Zenfar
quote: Original post by sunandshadow

Has anyone seen a PC or console RPG or adventure game that''s real, heavy-duty sci-fi or modern fantasy? I mean with sociology and biology and coherent worldbuilding and real non-western cultures? Preferably a civilization that''s supposed to have evolved completely independant of Earth''s influence. I''d pay big money for one of those if it had decent graphics.

Workin'' on it... Uh, on second thought, it depends on what ya mean by decent graphics...

You know, I''ve heard it mentioned that people are into fantasy for the mystery and magic. But hard science can have just as much mystery and magic as a fantasy environment. Three billion year old ruins, aliens who''ve evolved to gods, left-over artifacts... these can have just as much wonder as prophecies, curses, etc.

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement