🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

RPGs only medieval?

Started by
50 comments, last by Wavinator 23 years, 9 months ago
It''s the use of magic that''s the key to the emphasis on medieval RPGs. Magic gives many toys to play with and it''s easy to tweak and adjust someone''s ability to face more and more "tougher" opponents with a sense of accomplishment. (Not strong enough - attack creatures JUST above your strength - WIN treasure that increases your strength(ooh-aaah, sparklies) attack end-boss)

ZoomBoy
Developing a 2D RPG with skills, weapons, and adventure.
See my character editor, Tile editor, diary, 3D Art resources at
Check out my web-site
Advertisement
quote: Original post by Nomadic Soul

The medieval time period has alot of ideas that most companies could use in their games and that''s why most RPGs are in a medieval/fantasy setting.

Ever read the Jean Auel (sp?) books? Clan of the Cave Bear could make an AWESOME RPG. Mammoths, saber tooth tigers, cro-magnons vs. neanderthals. Maybe add mysterious pre-human cultures, ancient magic... You could have a very magical world, and not see a single lousy Dwarf, knight, or Elf the whole game.

What about other cultures for inspiration? Ever get to role-play a Samurai? What about an Apache warrior? An Egyptian priest? I think either designers are REALLY lazy, or fantasy gamers will only tolerate medieval myth...

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Thanks for this post Wavinator, I was gonna give up any hope.
At least you seem to have enough imagination to realize that it can be done.
If it hasn''t been done yet, it''s because no one ever tried, because no one DARES ;

It''s not because a theme does seem boring or limiting at first sight that it means you can''t create a lot of gameplay out of it.

For example, look at "The ants" by Bernard Werber (a book), and see the number of cool analogies between ants and human vehicles/weapons etc.
I remember as well that GURPS did an extension called GURPS Rabbits (or bunnies ?) where you play a rabbit, amongst rabbits, having rabbit adventures !!!
There was also Nightprowler, a french RPG, where all the available classes to create a character were thief classes.

If you use that brain of yourself guys, you would see limitations of context as a good way to train the imagiative muscles, rather than give up !

youpla
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
quote: Original post by GoofProg
err.. whatever Magic the Gathering company is called....

You mean Wizards of the Coast? I have now come to the realisation that Hasbeen bought this company (noooooooooo) and as such I refuse to buy their goods. But let us not turn this into a "Hasbeen slagfest"...

CPRG, there are a LOT that aren''t medieval. Nuff said

-Chris Bennett ("Insanity" of Dwarfsoft)

Check our site:
http://www.crosswinds.net/~dwarfsoft/
Check out our NPC AI Mailing List :
http://www.egroups.com/group/NPCAI/
made due to popular demand here at GDNet :)
quote: Original post by dwarfsoft

OK, cool. Gimme titles so I can check ''em out! On the PC, we''ve got Fallout, and that''s just about it. Don''t play other platforms as a rule, but for a decent non medieval RPG I''d make an exception!

--------------------
Well, other than pen and paper (ie CRPG''s) you have a lot of BBS ones (can''t remember their names) as well as a lot of old ones... But you probably wanted graphics right? Just because you can''t play with graphics, doesn''t mean that they are bad games. I quite enjoy going and playing LORD and LORD II (rtsoft).

Just try a search engine and see what you come up with.

Check our site:
http://www.crosswinds.net/~dwarfsoft/
Check out our NPC AI Mailing List :
http://www.egroups.com/group/NPCAI/
made due to popular demand here at GDNet :)
quote: Original post by Wavinator

Original post by dwarfsoft

OK, cool. Gimme titles so I can check ''em out! On the PC, we''ve got Fallout, and that''s just about it. Don''t play other platforms as a rule, but for a decent non medieval RPG I''d make an exception!

——————–
Just waiting for the mothership…

Yeah, there''s fallout…Wasteland if you want to delve into the days of 10 floppies for a game…Arcanum is coming out sometime soon and it''s a mix of futuristic and fantasy….

And to the person who mentioned doing a modern RPG… unless you mix in some extra stuff for it, like psi stuff, or mutant freaks, or x-files-type conspiracies, I somehow don''t think a modern rpg would be all that fun. The Sims, while a good game, is kind of pushing it…would you really want to play a game where you get to play a character and wander around your own world? That''s what RPGs are for (mostly) IMO…to escape your own life and your own world for a little while (without, of course, resorting to "recreational drugs" )…playing in a modern-day world would be kind of dull to me. Just my 2 cents on that, tho…maybe lots of people would like it, and I''m just weird or something.

All hail the Technoweenie!
WNDCLASSEX Reality;......Reality.lpfnWndProc=ComputerGames;......RegisterClassEx(&Reality);Unable to register Reality...what's wrong?---------Dan Uptonhttp://0to1.orghttp://www20.brinkster.com/draqza
I agree that there are a lot of fantasy CRPGs and RPGs out there. But I don''t know if there are too many as most of the recent ones are quite enjoyable (Icewind Dale springs to mind).

I have created an alien CRPG called Zenfar, it is unique setting with all new species, powers, skills, and attributes. Maybe this is the type of game you are looking for.

Glen Martin
CEO Dynamic Adventures Inc.
Zenfar
Glen Martin
Dynamic Adventures Inc.
Zenfar
quote: Original post by draqza

And to the person who mentioned doing a modern RPG... unless you mix in some extra stuff for it, like psi stuff, or mutant freaks, or x-files-type conspiracies, I somehow don''t think a modern rpg would be all that fun. The Sims, while a good game, is kind of pushing it...would you really want to play a game where you get to play a character and wander around your own world? That''s what RPGs are for (mostly) IMO...to escape your own life and your own world for a little while (without, of course, resorting to "recreational drugs" )...playing in a modern-day world would be kind of dull to me. Just my 2 cents on that, tho...maybe lots of people would like it, and I''m just weird or something.

Auugh! Draqza! This hurts my heart! When''s the last time you exited from a sub in freezing water, evaded offshore patrols, broke into a prison, rescued a mate, blew up an air control tower, and flew to an aircraft carrier in the Persian gulf? Modern day boring?????

This isn''t a slam, but this makes me wonder what''s up with imagination??? The medieval ages were TOTALLY dull for the average peasant, yet we''ve managed to focus not on washer women or crop rotation, but on the cool stuff! Knights, dragons, wizards, spells!

I couldn''t understand why I got so few replies to my sci-fi RPG thread, but I think I understand now. The modern and future era''s aren''t considered mysterious enough!!!! Gonna have to fix that!!!!

--------------------
quote: Original post by glenrm

I have created an alien CRPG called Zenfar, it is unique setting with all new species, powers, skills, and attributes. Maybe this is the type of game you are looking for.

It''s not 100% hardcore science fiction, but it looks good!! (Heck, with the dearth of non-fantasy RPGs, guess I can''t complain, can I???? )

--------------------

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement