🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Brainstorming for a new brand start of gaming

Started by
49 comments, last by Tom Sloper 1 year, 11 months ago

MIOLO said:
why or when we stop playing a game ?? It's so hard for you to pop a question to what we can do to prevent that ? if so … let's brainstorming .

It's not hard - i simply have no questions about reasons why people stop playing games before they are finished. I know the answers from my own experience: Boredom, too hard, confusion, too tedious, there is another better game out to play.

Not all of those reasons are failures of us.
And i do not even see a need to change this. Many games i did not finish i remember still positively. They were worth the money, but my time is limited. So… all fine.

But why do you think it should be a primary goal to tie players to games more than before, so they surely keep playing?
The only reason making sense to me would be to earn more money from the game. But i guess that's not our interest here, as this forum is driven from hobby up to expert devs, but the common motivation is just the passion about video games, not really how we could milk players for money most efficiently.
So i guess that's not your reason either?

It's simple: If we make a good game which is fun or provides some other form of entertainment, then many people will play it to the end.
The question thus is not how to grab players, but how to make such good game many people enjoy and love.

MIOLO said:
“ You need to try much, much harder… ; ) ” check your MIRROR ! … your opinion not a billion ! and don't try to call “ your mother ” in, too ! let's find out the meaning of humble, ok ? You don't want to spent your TIME in your project for an empty lobby, do you ? I would like that MY game besides “ an experience which is so good ” deploys auto content for grab players 24/7 = with a big YES !!! Also that will provide the publisher the SMILE they need to support your programming costs ! Think BIG !!! Cheers !

I have no idea what you try to say here, and looking into the mirror did not help it.

Advertisement

MIOLO said:
ONE : maths = what do you think of a routine where the ITEMS/NPCs/etc… used in a game could auto generate themselves at proper random biomes ? if you already can do this with terrain/mapping/solar systems/etc … base for the final idea of daily new points of interest in a game.

TWO : besides already used TIMER to return to activate your in game bases/constructions/items a routine that weather conditions affect that TIMER in order that a simple clock is not the only math, that the player has to “being forced” to return to the game, to prevent losing “ belongings ” ?

I wish we didn't have all this sneering and name-calling in this thread. It's uncalled for and not nice. To reply to miolo's 2 points:

ONE. Random autogenerated NPCs and items (etc.). I think that's a fine idea, but random and procedural stuff doesn't satisfy as much as purposefully created NPCs and items that further the storyline or enhance the fun or finetune the challenge.

TWO. Weather conditions to encourage return play. I like it. Think Farmville 2. Crops withered and died over time, but rain alone would have made a dramatic difference, not to mention windstorms and blizzards. Especially if the player receives notifications, weather reports out of game. (But out-of-game pushes have been tried before, to mixed results.)

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

@JoeJ The question thus is not how to grab players, but how to make such good game many people enjoy and love. = WRONG !!! … That's a poet's mind that fit's in a nice portrait for the family ! You could have a smile in your face if you've achieved that, but you will have a whole SUNSHINE in your face, if everyday you come across with a full lobby in your game !!! And that resonates to your all share holders !!! What's wrong being a poet with money ? As you've mentionated NO MAN'S SKY what a joy and then BORING as hell !!! Such a pearl doesn't deserve to “ die ” on a sigh ! Even all the updates end like the others same boring issues. I'm not complaining about if " wether

Not all of those reasons are failures of us " > I complain because WE give up to those NON OUR failures ! Let's TRY to turn this arround in our favor NOW !!! Force the players to our needs of satisfaction, at the birth of our concept ! WE must conquer players ! Think it like it's our MAIN game when at our DEV coding.

None

@Tom Sloper “ ONE. Random autogenerated NPCs and items (etc.). I think that's a fine idea, but random and procedural stuff doesn't satisfy as much as purposefully created NPCs and items that further the storyline or enhance the fun or finetune the challenge. ” >> Now we're talking !!! Thank you ALL for the interest. So, 40 years of experience , resonate that KIDS just love simple things. And if we are bold enough to catch that, you will find out that for them if you have a SWORD ( for example ) that no one other player has, that generates in their minds that they need to have it, like breeding oxygen for their lungs. We all have been kids at some point ? !!! And as many, i believe that not only kids, GAMERS share that inner will too !!! So, there comes the RANDOM coding effect that EXPLODES this neverending WILL to have what others have. Besides this simple idea, OPEN YOUR EYES to the potential of our coding to enhance the web of link to fill in other random puzzles in our game.

None

@Tom Sloper TWO. Weather conditions to encourage return play. I like it. Think Farmville 2. Crops withered and died over time, but rain alone would have made a dramatic difference, not to mention windstorms and blizzards. Especially if the player receives notifications, weather reports out of game. (But out-of-game pushes have been tried before, to mixed results.) >> THANK YOU !!! So let's TRY to turn this MIXED results into MOST successfully. Let's be creative arround this subject. Let's force players with these random MATHS, always, I repeat always without being annoying … can we ?? Sure we can. I believe in you, otherwise I wouldn't have being here wasting my and yours precious time. Cheers !!!

None

MIOLO said:
can we ?? Sure we can. I believe in you, otherwise I wouldn't have being here wasting my and yours precious time.

🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂<←The tone posse, ready for action.

MIOLO said:
So, there comes the RANDOM coding effect that EXPLODES this neverending WILL to have what others have. Besides this simple idea, OPEN YOUR EYES to the potential of our coding to enhance the web of link to fill in other random puzzles in our game.

Now at least 2 people have said this is not as satisfying as manually created artefacts.

How do you propose to overcome this and generate infinitely different items?

Take a sword. You can randomize its strength, length, impact. It gives variations, but they are all swords, some better some worse. I can randomize the weapon-type, and besides sword, have a stick, and a spear. Throw a random over the type, and you have more variation. But it's all still a finite number of different weapons, and I am still manually inventing properties and weapon types. How do you propose it to the next level, getting a truly infinite number of different weapons, even weapons that nobody has ever invented yet?

And I don't mean hand-waving like you seem to be doing a lot. Please, concretely, show us in math or in code how to get an infinite number of different weapons. Just saying in words, it can be done doesn't work, the above 2 people really experienced that. If you think it can be done, please show us how.

THREE : rewards for players that bring other players to the game.

Brainstorming … hum ?! Again, the random coding effect here for these rewards. And always focus on all links of the master plot in the game. My friends, this is just the tip of the iceberg of MY all ideas, and I'm not kidding. The real test is upon you guys … take it or leave it ! My invitation to go further still stands … let's dissect this to the roots. I could go on with only MY ideas, but I will most appreciate to read yours too, even as a complement to those thoughts. Cheers !!!

None

@Alberth How do you generate random terrain, planets, etc … brand new OPENWORLD maping as long as you walkthrough the game ? How do you encounter new generated biomes ? Apply the same code for items. What for ?? The new random items will be used/powered/whatever only in the right places/biomes … or crafting/joining two different swords for example should give you an even better sword . Get it ? The idea is to open your minds to explore better the RANDOM coding.

None

@fleabay off-topic . Please contribute or just leave. Thx !!!

None

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement