🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Looking to learn without formal education!

Started by
23 comments, last by NikiTo 4 years, 3 months ago

chromescythe said:
Thanks for the tips!

@chromescythe Your more than welcome man. ?

chromescythe said:
I want to be a game designer, as I want to create the art, levels and characters for my games,

I can link a youtube video here for you which relates to becoming a game designer in a big games company.

i will also link another video which is great for advancing art skills, the tips in here from Kim Jung Gi are golden.

chromescythe said:
I also know Unreal and Unity are the two most popular engines, and Unity, with its C# programming, would be “easier” to understand (I think they're similar, but C++ is supposedly more complex).

This is a free course it's quite excellent. This is where i started to learn C++. It informed me on a lot of the basic skills need to just read and understand it. The trick to programming is to learn a little bit each and every day so you retain it for longer in memory. Overwhelming yourself with too much information in 1 day make things impossible to understand.

chromescythe said:
I already have game ideas aside, and know which one to test first once I have the hang of this stuff. In the meantime, I want to improve my art, vocal talents, and writing, while learning about whatever needs to be learned to accomplish that goal.

If you know your goal then you should find your path there. I want to make a specific game that i imagined. Haha and i have a VR side project i'm slowly working on too.

chromescythe said:
It'd be cool to find people to work with, but I'm worried most people care about money too much. At least the people I work with.

You will have that everywhere, every business where capitalism is the main objective of the company you will have that. There aren't too many big games companies that are focused on making great games for the love of games. I think ProjectRed and a couple others are known for being good to employees and such. I personally want to create a games company that isn't focused around profit because that is the wrong way and i see studios making games with loot boxes and ingame purchases all the time, yet never delivering a high level of quality that i expect. The way to approach things is to be focused on fun for the player, because we all know a good game has to be fun. Otherwise it's a bad game haha. Have you ever seen the episode of south park where the Canadians are trying to explain “Freemium” games, they explain that games that are free want you to buy things in game but they can't make the game too fun or people won't buy anything. So the game has to be barely fun enough so the player keeps playing but not too fun they won't pay money XD. Anyways, i think there is truth in that.

Advertisement

@DoomOperator Satan had to punish the Canadian Devil for creating these games hahaha

I think people should aim for more realistic goals. It is not easy at all to enter the hollywood of gaming. You need to sacrifice your soul to get there.

I often heard of people willing to sacrifice it all in order to work for Google(for example). But i would not do that. Work was done, fair money must be paid for the work. In places as Hollywood and Google, they will exploit you until they squeeze all of your blood. It is a kind of a cult.

“For the immense privilege to work for our company, you have to do some nasty favors and work for half the salary.”

“Initially you will work for nearly free, but in exchange you will be given the immense opportunity to grow in the career. And maybe you will become the CEO of our company some day.”
(You just have to work very very hard for a third of the salary for a long long time…)

The trap of careerism - to sacrifice it all for a void promise….

My personal receipt - “do something simple for a simple living, while working in some awesome hobby project in the free time.”

Not to mention that i would not draw radioactive mutants for money. I enjoy drawing beautiful things. If you watched/played Outlast the game, you might know what things the game designers had to do for money. I would never spend a whole day designing realistically looking human feces in 3D for money. Rather than abusing of my talents, i would move sacks around. For the same money some exploited 3D designers earn…

(Some people draw death metal stuff since always. They could enjoy working for Outlast. I say nothing bad about people who design human feces in 3D, if they don't mind doing it.)

(And i don't say people should not try their luck. But i call for awareness of the cruelty of big companies and human nature in general.
For example the OP is worried about debts. Is it worth to take loans for something that is for free on the internet? It could be worth if the school is good and he finds a fair job with his diploma. It is a risk.
If somebody is a rebel, he will not survive a single year in the university. Teachers will destroy him and kick him out. Most of teachers read the social media of the students. If you say something that some teacher doesn't like, you are a goner too. Exams are only one of the many many ways to be kicked out of school. And the loan stays or is cancelled? People should think twice before taking important decisions.)

NikiTo said:
I think people should aim for more realistic goals. It is not easy at all to enter the hollywood of gaming. You need to sacrifice your soul to get there.

@nikito Hey Niki, I understand what you mean, though i want to leave you with some personal insight. For me, i have an edge, i am not ego driven, and my only desire for money is so i can live free, because when you think about it when you have to worry about shit from society and bills are you really free? Bring on the Robotic Revolution i say haha. Due to my edge of creativity, i have no doubt that i will fail in my ventures in making successful games.

NikiTo said:
I often heard of people willing to sacrifice it all in order to work for Google(for example). But i would not do that. Work was done, fair money must be paid for the work. In places as Hollywood and Google, they will exploit you until they squeeze all of your blood. It is a kind of a cult. “For the immense privilege to work for our company, you have to do some nasty favors and work for half the salary.” “Initially you will work for nearly free, but in exchange you will be given the immense opportunity to grow in the career. And maybe you will become the CEO of our company some day.” (You just have to work very very hard for a third of the salary for a long long time…) The trap of careerism - to sacrifice it all for a void promise…. My personal receipt - “do something simple for a simple living, while working in some awesome hobby project in the free time.” Not to mention that i would not draw radioactive mutants for money. I enjoy drawing beautiful things. If you watched/played Outlast the game, you might know what things the game designers had to do for money. I would never spend a whole day designing realistically looking human feces in 3D for money. Rather than abusing of my talents, i would move sacks around. For the same money some exploited 3D designers earn… (Some people draw death metal stuff since always. They could enjoy working for Outlast. I say nothing bad about people who design human feces in 3D, if they don't mind doing it.) (And i don't say people should not try their luck. But i call for awareness of the cruelty of big companies and human nature in general.

Yeah man, i agree with you. Don't waste your life looking at shit XD, people should be used for their best assets and abilities. We live in a society that governs it's laws by an idea that “Everyman is born equal” but in reality no man is born equal. I feel every oppressive feeling that you get from western societies way of operating money making business/industries. I personally don't think all games companies are like that. Like Midway, or whatever they are called now.

I totally think people should stick to what they are capable of, but i also think that most people are capable of alot more than what they think. I have friends who say they could never code because it's looks too tough, but it's just they haven't adapted themselves to it. As humans we are masters of adaptation within our earthly confines.

NikiTo said:
For example the OP is worried about debts. Is it worth to take loans for something that is for free on the internet? It could be worth if the school is good and he finds a fair job with his diploma. It is a risk. If somebody is a rebel, he will not survive a single year in the university. Teachers will destroy him and kick him out. Most of teachers read the social media of the students. If you say something that some teacher doesn't like, you are a goner too. Exams are only one of the many many ways to be kicked out of school. And the loan stays or is cancelled? People should think twice before taking important decisions.)

I didn't know teachers did that. That's messed up. I live in Australia so you can do this thing called Hex Debt, where you take a university course and pay it later when you start working, that's not so bad. I personally consider myself to be an intellectual, but that doesn't mean i'm smarter than you @nikito , So i don't really see the point in going to uni to get a degree doing something i don't want to do, and because i am an artist, it's taken me a lifetime to realize what i am best at. My first video game was when i was 3months old, and when i was growing up as a kid i played in the imagination for a very long time, Like maybe even up to 11years. I used to play alot of FinalFantasy 8 as a kid, and i remember reenacting battles like them on my trampoline. I once told a friend i was sick because the day he wanted to hangout i bought Fable, i really wanted to play this game. I've been a metal musician for 14years, i got into metal from a PSX game i played when i was 12 called “Duke Nukem: Land of the Babes” the opening included a song called “Push it” by Static-x. I always wanted to learn how to make games but never had the money or time until kind recently. I'm giving my soul to me, as you can see it's something personal to me, and i'm sure it's something personal for you to. I could go on too btw hahaha but you don't need to know my life story.

p.s i appreciate the South Park reference, was hella good

@DoomOperator I think, not everybody can learn anything.
If everybody can learn programming, why i can not learn to play music?
I feel similar when people tell me they can not draw. Drawing is so immensely easy for me.

I recommend everybody to try to learn to program. But after 6 months of trying it, if somebody still thinks he can not learn to program, maybe he will be a good doctor or architect, but not a programmer.

I think i am not a master in programming, but i think i am very good at it. But, what about quantum computing? Will i be watching other people programming in quantum computing and be telling them: “Ho you do it? I understand nothing at all.”

I heard some companies to pay you the whole studies, but after you finish the university, you must work for that company for 5 years. Not a big salary ofc, but practice is priceless. Ofc, you have to sign a contract and this is already a deep slavery.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement