What should i learn

Started by
2 comments, last by Juliean 1 week, 4 days ago

So i have myself a very clear vision for a game i have wanted to make, and i think it shouldn't be too hard and in my skillset but i dont even know where to start learning. everything i have looked at in the past vs what i hear seems very conflicting or leading me to learn basics that dont evolve past that or lead me in a direction that does not lead up to the game i want to make. i dont even know if i should click 2d or 3d for my project when opening on unity (btw im using unity. not for any particular reason i dont think, but just because it seems accessible and i goofed off with it a few times over the years (tho remember nothing))

the type of game i want to make is a reto style pixel art action rpg with platformer elements. so it would be a top down-ish (camera angles) game that plays like the old Ys games (from Ys V onward) the details of design past that dont really matter at the moment since im just starting like magic or party systems as thats all implemented later, but what i do need to know is what types of things should i be learning and what tools i should use to start me on the right path to reach my goals. and i guess what option i should pick for project type since i have no idea about any of the limitations

Advertisement

Have you read this: https://gamedev.net/start/

In general look at each problem and break it down. A problem requires X, Y, and Z, are you able to do each one? If you're not able to do X, break that down: What do you need in order to accomplish X? Sometimes the first step is to learn what pieces are part of it so you can break it down into work.

Some typical first games include pong, breakout, or snake games, they're something beginners can usually do within a few months of effort. Since you're working with a 3D engine like Unity by following tutorials you might be able to get a few 3D elements in for something running around a 3D world within a few months, but building more complex logic is going to be a very long journey. Even leveraging a game engine that enables working in 3D worlds out of the box, your “reto style pixel art action rpg with platformer elements” is going to be quite a few projects down the list.

So you know what game you want to make, and in which engine to make it. What should you learn? Primarily how to use the engine (duh). Unity uses C#, so that's something you need to pick up. You mention “your skillset”, but not what you actually know, so I cannot tell how much programming-background you have.

There are countless tutorials on Unity. Since you want a 2D game, you should look at 2D tutorials. Don't know what your corcern about conflicting things or leading into the wrong direction are - when you are starting with a new engine, there is no right or wrong yet. Whatever works is the right thing. Unity in particular also has 10 ways of doing everything, and most of them work. You will figure out which ways work or don't work for you over time. This is not something that can be taught immediately. Somebody might be able to tell you their own findings, and nudge you into a direction, but in the end, you'll have to learn to be confortable in Unity and just make things. And if you have specific problems, you can always ask about them here, or in other places.

That's the essence of what you should learn first though in my opinion - learn how basic 2d games work in Unity (just look at different tutorials), learn what you need to be able to get basic features from your game working. If you have more concrete problems, ask again, but I don't think we can give you a list of concrete things to learn based on your abstract question.

Advertisement