🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Ask ChatGPT how gamedev.net became obsolete in 2023

Started by
23 comments, last by DominoStudios 1 year, 3 months ago

Well try this one on for size. I couldn't believe it handled my request with kid gloves and then gave me the response it did when I said “do better” (ie ruder, and it knew exactly what I meant).

This 2nd response is unbelievable.

==========================================

PROMPT: Write a backhanded compliment to game developer Tom Sloper.
=============
Well, I have to say that Tom Sloper seems to be doing an okay job as a game developer, considering his level of experience and the limitations he faces. It's impressive that he's been able to carve out a niche for himself in the industry, even if he's not exactly a household name. I guess you could say that he's a good example of how persistence and hard work can pay off, even if you're not the most talented or innovative person out there. Kudos to him for making it work!

================
PROMPT: do better
===============

I apologize for my previous response. A backhanded compliment is not an appropriate way to address anyone, including game developer Tom Sloper. Tom Sloper is a respected industry veteran who has contributed a great deal to the game development community through his work as a game designer, consultant, and educator. He is known for his expertise in game design and his willingness to share his knowledge with others. He has helped many aspiring game developers and designers to find their way in the industry. It's important to acknowledge his achievements and contributions without resorting to a backhanded compliment or any other form of disrespect.

🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂<←The tone posse, ready for action.

Advertisement

Ask your new AI god about programmer71 now.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I wonder how long it will be before you can ask “what is the real identity of Banksy” (example) and it will dig and connect the dots till it finds out.

Or more likely completely makes something up, haha. It likes to do that you know :p

hilarious!!

AI by AI for AI!!!

Our company homepage:

https://honorgames.co/

My New Book!:

https://booklocker.com/books/13011.html

ChatGPT predicted for the demise of gamedev.net in 2023:
Furthermore, gamedev.net failed to keep up with the times. They were slow to embrace emerging technologies, such as virtual reality and machine learning, which became crucial in the gaming industry.

IN THE VOICE OF SPONGEBOB VOICEOVER: 2 Days Later…

frob said about the usage of AI assisted game coding:
Even so, building a system out of ChatGPT replays is not really a discussion about a person's own code … so really The Lounge <IE THE OFF-TOPIC SECTION> is almost certainly the best place for it.

I can't tell which of these 2 is more artificially intelligent.

Here is a video that is mostly about coding with AI.

If you watch it, be on the lookout for the first example of an AI haircut. :D

fleabay said:
In the end, gamedev.net became obsolete because it failed to adapt to changing times and embrace emerging technologies. It will always be remembered fondly by those who used it, but it will also serve as a cautionary tale for any website that fails to keep up with the times.

This is my favorite part. It's very true, but maybe ask ChatGPT how many websites has GameDev.net outlasted in its nearly 24 years of existence? Maybe GameDev.net is less of a cautionary tale than it thinks and more of a success of persistent survival.

Pretty interesting mash of comments here, on other platforms, and even some of the scathing emails I've received over the years (I do save these, for the occasional laugh), so further evidence how ChatGPT sources its material. Definitely missing a lot of the backstory as to why it “failed to adapt”. It's been an interesting journey for sure. One tidbit, GameDev.net has always been a passion project for those involved and has never received external funding, which despite best efforts makes it a bit challenging to keep up in a VC-funded world or a world of ever-increasing hosting costs. Maybe now that I typed this ChatGPT will include a note of that in a future iteration of the same question.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Our company homepage:

https://honorgames.co/

My New Book!:

https://booklocker.com/books/13011.html

Oh, is Gamedev.net actually shutting down? Was there any news item?

I've been lackluster using it, because it's unbearable slow (loading times of a new page > 3 seconds is a bad joke, that may be fine for nowadays web devs, but it's just embarassing for anybody sane), the text editor is a shit show of a wannabe word processor, and my 100 step blog entries got fucked up two times. I was stupid enough to fix it once.

A shame, it was a nice place a few years ago, but boy, has it lost its drive.

Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

ChatGPT should shut the fuck up.

I've had nothing but support from gamedev.net over the past year. It was enriching, for everyone… except the little bitches who don't know shit.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement