🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What software I need to create my room into a game ?

Started by
7 comments, last by Thaumaturge 2 years ago

Hi guys

So my idea is to create my old room into a video game where I can turn on the tv, turn the light on, maybe open the window, shut the blinds, open the cabinet door, move some stuff around.

What software do I need to use to achieve this ?

Advertisement

You could use Blender to model your room and its objects.

To open a cabinet, you probably want a rigid body physics engine. The door would be mounted to the cabinet by a hinge joint with angular limits. Such engines also do collisions, so you could lift up a TV set and place it elsewhere on a table.
Off the shelf engines like Unity / Unreal have such physics simulators integrated, and also allow to author things like collision shapes, mass properties and joints in their editor. Such engines can also link a switch to a light.

If you don't intend to have fine control over the opening of doors, it might be simpler to implement it via animations: Create an animation of the door opening, and then play it when you want to have said door open. (And likewise for closing the door.)

You could even allow the door to be opened partially, or (somewhat) in time with the player's movements, by directly setting the current frame of the animation in accordance with the intended state of the door.

On another note, you say that you want to “create [your] old room into a video game”--does that mean that you intend to mod it into an existing game, or that you intend to create a game of your own that includes it?

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

That's a good question, I intend to make my old room into a game, as in, the whole game will be just my room.
Well really all I wanted was to have my room made in 3D, on a computer, so I can walk in it in first person.

Really the point is, I don't live in that place anymore, but I still have somewhat fresh memory of my old room and very limited pictures, and I would like to immortalize it while I still can remember it as it was, how it looked like.Luckily I have pictures of furniture and I remember the layout.
I have some fond memories there.

Now that you asked the question, (btw if anyone wants to use my idea, feel free to, just please add a little credit “idea by SK” and email me the game at xivkuca50@gmail) I have this one memory where I was going back to my friends place after school around 6pm, it was late October, we played, then he lent me this game called “Alone in the dark” for PS1(which I still have btw, 20y later, imagine :D).Then I was running back home, it was like 8pm, it was dusk so it wasn't full night yet, and there was thunder outside, no rain, just thunder high up in the sky.
So I was running fast home to escape the rain, was running under this, sort of footbridge which was made out of stone and metal fence, and thunder struck in the fence which was red, and metal, about 15 feet above me.
Got super scared, ran even faster, took me few minutes to get to my house, slowly started raining when I got home, still thunder, I go in my room, sit on a couch, turn this small TV on and my PS1 console, pop the game in, play a little, got to some fence but at that time something flashed on the screen, some ghost, and also moments after that thunder struck outside again, I turned off the game and haven't played it in 2 months.

I could like, put these memories in that room/game and have the player experience them from a childs perspective, how it was scary, and new.
Gave me something to talk about : )

Okay, in that case, one of the main things, I feel, is to determine how you're going to build the game-logic side of things. Are you going to code it from raw C++ and OpenGL? Or are you going to use a game-engine? Or are you perhaps going to use a game-making program? Your approach then influences what tools might be called for: C++ calls for a compiler; a game-making program will presumably call for the program itself; different engines might have different suites of tools available; and so on.

So: Have you yet settled on how you want to go about the game-logic side of this?

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Regarding creating your room in a game : You probably want a 3D representation of your room, and then a place to display/manipulate that 3D representation.

You can either create the 3D models you'll need in a 3D modeling program like Blender (or 3DS Max, or Maya), and then load it into your game application. Or you could probably create that stuff directly in a game engine like Unity or Unreal. I personally would work with a modeling program, but you may find that your own experience is different than mine.

If you don't want to learn a lot about codding, I'd suggest going with something like Unity. It's not hard to just drop some models in there.

I'd suggest modeling the room first, and then think about animating it later. That might not be the most efficient way to go (ideally you want to keep in mind the parts you want to animate while modeling), but one has to learn to walk before one can run. On the topic of the modeling process. . . If you want to keep things really basic, the process should be pretty easy. For example, many of the objects you'll want to deal with can be represented with boxes at a basic level. The whole room might be the inside of a box. A bed is pretty box like, as are things like cabinets.

The real question here is : how realistic do you want to get? Is a simple box good enough for the bed? Or do you want bed posts and pillows and realistic sheets, and a bed that looks like it is a place to sleep in rather than a block of concrete? If you want to get hyper realistic, you are probably going to have a spend some time learning about 3D modeling (or get lucky enough to find some 3D party models which look exactly like your own furniture).

In line with my comment about about learning to walk before you can run. I'd suggest starting with a program like Blender (which is free), and work on a simple block out of the room (using very basic shapes). Then you can refine the room as your skills grow. Finally, focus on making a version of the room you can animate, and then import those models into a program like Unity.

Good luck with your project!

So that's the thing, I don't even have an idea of what is available to me.(Well now I have some idea.)
What tools or what approach.
That is why I asked the question, I want to first know what and how.

Since the room is small, I will try my best to make it as detailed as possible.
I like the approach where I can create the model inside modeling program like Blender, and then import it into Unity for example.
I have used Blender in past.

I know very little(from 1-10, like 2, maybe 3) about coding so that part I would like to keep to a minimum, probably will rely on code from internet to animate opening of doors, turning light on and stuff like that.
Sounds like common action, so high chance code already exists out there.

Other than that, I did not decide yet but Unity sounds very attractive.

Still I will continue to explore my options for the upcoming week or two.

I know I need to model the room and furniture, animate few doors, cabinets, window blinds/shutters, light, have FPS camera, be able to pick up some things and move them,turn on TV/game console.

Given that your specific game-mechanic requirements are fairly light, it would seem, and given what you say about your experience with coding, it might be worth asking around after one of the simpler game-engines or game-making tools. You don't seem to need many fancy features, after all, so why complicate matters with such?

As to Unity, that may work for you--and indeed, I think that you'll find that a number of potentially-useful third-party components (like a first-person character-controller) are available for that engine.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement