🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Any Advise for a new Full time Pro Game dev?

Started by
9 comments, last by GeneralJist 2 years, 3 months ago

Hi everyone,

I've ben privately warned that I crossed a big line, and I'm sorry.

I'm new to being a full time pro game dev in the industry, and I got an ego too. I need to make sure I keep it in check and stay humble helpful and good, despite my success and newly found power.

So This is to any current Full time Game devs, do you have any recommendations and advise for me and anyone else who eventually gets here?

These lessons can be personal or general. And I hope to come back here to mediate the connections of others who work for me one day so I can provide full time employment for those who deserve it.

If I scared, disturbed or upset anyone with my recent conduct, I'm genuinely sorry, I hope to prove to you guys that I strive every day to liv my values, and be the kind of man and leader that desires respect not from empty words but from concrete actions.

My time is indeed valuable, but it is not more valuable than anyone elses.

So, if the warning showed me, is my conduct crossed a big line, and if I want to be a part of this wonderful community I and no one is above the law. I always am my biggest critic, my biggest work ethic motivator, and with that drive, I've finally been recognized an got to where I am today after a 10 year journey.

My goal is to help others who deserve it to get to where I am today, out of no personal interest except to make my co workers, my community, my industry and my world more capable efficient, effective, and humane for all.

Thanks all, Thanks Tom for keeping me in check, we all need people like that.

Our company homepage:

https://honorgames.co/

My New Book!:

https://booklocker.com/books/13011.html

Advertisement

GeneralJist said:

And I'm not trying to threaten anyone, but I know this about myself, that if someone screws me over, I have in the past, and do now go to the ends of the earth to exact my form of justice and revenge. I once contacted LinkedIn after a former contributor lied to me, ghosted me and lied on his LinkedIn about how long he was with my company, all the while pretending he had dropped off the grid to take care of his disabled mother, who he couldn't even name how she got her money, if it was state or federal disability. He ghosted my team for months, and ignored email after email. and had the gall to respond to a GDC 2019 email, asking if “he could come”. He tried to dictate terms to me, after doing sub par work , IDK where he is now, but if I ever find out where he is now, I have no qualms about going there and telling the documented truth about his conduct. And make sure that he never gets in the games industry or associated industries.

That's from the other thread. Sane people run away from people like you as soon as they find out you are like this. It is good that you are writing this to warn people off working for you. From reading about how toxic this industry can be, I imagine that a lot of managers are like you.

It's human to get mad at other people and hold grudges for short periods of time. That means holding a grudge for 2 weeks is understandable but certainly not holding one for 20 years. In the situation described, what if you don't have all the facts? What if the guy was telling the truth but he just avoided talking to you once you became toxic? What if he was a POS but has changed since? Even if he was as horrible a person as you think, you are only affecting your own wellbeing by still thinking of how you were wronged by him. In general you will be much happier with your life if you forget about all the times you've been wronged and instead think of all the privileges you've had in your life.

With my degree in armchair psychology, it sounds like your might be suffering from paranoid personality disorder. It also sounds like you have sociopathic tendencies (which seems to be a common thing among leaders who rule by fear). I don't mean to say that in a mean way. It's just that when I've looked at your posts this is the impression I get of you.

I suggest you seek professional help.

Congratulations. You are a raw beginner all over again.

The job does not mean that you are expert, it means a company is trusting that you won't break things too badly as you begin to implement features.

You will break things as you learn. Admit to mistakes immediately, and learn from every interaction with others at the company. Read the surrounding code, comments, and documentation before making changes. Ask questions and be sure you understand why things are the way they are before changing them. When you have made a change, double check that they actually run as expected when you are done. With luck and care, you can minimize your bug rate.

Learn all you can from every source you can, both active and through observation.

DON'T EAT AT YOUR DESK

perry_blueberry said:
With my degree in armchair psychology, it sounds like your might be suffering from paranoid personality disorder. It also sounds like you have sociopathic tendencies (which seems to be a common thing among leaders who rule by fear). I don't mean to say that in a mean way. It's just that when I've looked at your posts this is the impression I get of you.

“I want people to fear how much they love me”

Na, but seriously.

I had a former co worker say that to me too, that I seem like a sociopath turns out he was the sociopath.

I'm persistent, dedicated, and I have high standards of myself and others. I do not cave to peer pressure, I am not motivated by money and I refuse to settle for less.

I am learning always and I have to keep myself in check.

I'm a 2 year 500 hour volunteer on a suicide and crisis hotline.

I know who Iam, and who I am not. I always back talk with action and I never waste my time.

If people don't meet my high standards, I simply spend no or less time with them.

My writing also comes off vary different than how I talk, I earned everything I have. And I always follow my values

Our company homepage:

My New Book!:

GeneralJist said:

perry_blueberry said:

I had a former co worker say that to me too, that I seem like a sociopath turns out he was the sociopath.

I didn't say you (or mean to say) you are a sociopath. What I meant was that business leaders who push others very hard and expect their workers to dedicate their lives to the company (think guys like Steve Jobs, Bill Gates and Elon Musk) seem to lack some degree of empathy, which is a major trait of being a sociopath. That's why I used the word “tendencies”.

GeneralJist said:

If people don't meet my high standards, I simply spend no or less time with them.

“Live by the sword, die by the sword”. When you approach people like that, you can expect people to hold you to the same standard as well. In general I think people have a sixth sense about these things. If they feel you are just using them, they will not be charitable towards you.

perry_blueberry said:
“Live by the sword, die by the sword”. When you approach people like that, you can expect people to hold you to the same standard as well. In general I think people have a sixth sense about these things. If they feel you are just using them, they will not be charitable towards you.

FAIR ENOUGH.

Everyone uses everyone that is how lifeworks some people are just clear about their intensions and others are not.

Our company homepage:

My New Book!:

GeneralJist said:
Everyone uses everyone that is how lifeworks

That's a very dark life view. I like to work with people who respect one another as productive individuals.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

GeneralJist said:

But this does not rule out you're a sociopath too. ; )
I think we all have our issues. We can categorize them, give them a name, come up with therapy. But it does not help. We just need to deal with ours and others.

GeneralJist said:
I'm persistent, dedicated, and I have high standards of myself and others. I do not cave to peer pressure, I am not motivated by money and I refuse to settle for less.

GeneralJist said:

This can't work.
You define your personal ideology, and you expect from other minds to share it. Because we are all individuals, each having his own ideology, this simply can not work.

To get most out of a person, you do not dictate him. You observe him, see what's his capabilities, and distribute your tasks accordingly.
Most leaders don't have time for such observation. They are saturated by their own vision, and nothing else matters. And they can't see their failure, because success and being surrounded by bootlickers always confirms them to ‘be right’.

We all have “needs and wants” finding people that fill them is human nature.

“using” is a bad way of putting it, but never the less descriptive and accurate.

It's a balance of give and take.

Our company homepage:

My New Book!:

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement