🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Level designer vs 2d/3d designer vs Game designer vs animation and character

Started by
4 comments, last by Tom Sloper 2 years, 4 months ago

To work in a game company or any application development company in Europe,

If I determine which of these areas as my career plan, I will be more likely to find a job?

I HAVE ALREADY STARTED LEARNING PYTHON, BUT I AM FEARED BECAUSE MY MATHEMATICS IS DISGUSTED, FLATLY, SO I WILL GO TO ONE OF THESE AREAS.

Animation and character modeling (blender, 3dsmax)

Level Designer

2d,3d model designer

game designer

Advertisement

“Game design” is a market with a a lot of potential candidates but very few “real” designers. Having an idea is the easiest part. Making well organized Game Design Documents and planning the development, test and feedback routines for the studio is the hard part

3d with blender is good because you don't need to burn too much money with the software, instead you spend more on courses, but takes at least six months to make anything worth a dollar

Leven Design is a mix between Game Design and some other artistic field, because you need top notch visualization skills and knowledge of how to show your level idea to others, either by drawing or modeling (just making a bunch of CSG rectangles in a 3d environment is not employement-level level design).

Animation is harder than 3d modeling and non linear animation is even harder to nail. Most 3d animators have at least a fundamental level of 2d animation knowledge, since the animation fundamentals work in 2d and 3d.

Bottomline: there's no “easy” or even “easier” path into gamedev. There's the one thing you like the most and you need to excel at that to be hired and probably you'll earn less in games than doing the same thing in other areas, at least until you're a senior.

beginner hobbyist 3d modeler, learning the rest at a snail's pace.
if you want a simple prop and are not in a hurry, message me and i'll see what i can do

ouraf said:
There's the one thing you like the most and you need to excel at that to be hired

Yes! @oguzkaan , take art classes if you want to go into 2D/3D art or animation. If you want to be a level designer, take art classes and architecture and geology classes. If you want to be a game designer, take all the above plus philosophy, psychology, history, physics, mythology, religion, writing, and communication classes, and that's not all.

Read https://sloperama.com/advice/designprep.html​​ and watch this video:

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

@ouraf @tomsloper Thank you for your replies !

Actually, I'm currently studying at the university and I want to take a course for a 2d-3d designer with blender for 1 year or an animation designer for 1 year and earn money by selling my drawings or drawing what people want while I continue my student life, even if it is $5.

I live in Turkey. 1 dollar = 13.65 Turkish liras, so if I sell my drawing abroad, even if it is 10 dollars, I earn a lot of money. Of course, I don't look at this job only for money, I really want to do it, money is just the extra good thing :)

But I couldn't decide whether to become an animator or a 2d-3d designer. I think I will focus on drawing objects and characters with blender.

I gave up on level designer because being a level designer requires good math and algebra, I don't have any and I hate math.I also gave up learning python , java and c# because of math ?

Oguzkaan said:
I couldn't decide whether to become an animator or a 2d-3d designer. I think I will focus on drawing objects and characters with blender.

That's a good course plan.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement