🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Daughter wants to get into game dev. Looking for advise?

Started by
9 comments, last by GeneralJist 2 years, 3 months ago

Hi there,

My 12-year-old daughter dreams of a career that has anything to do with games, and I fully support that. She is quite insecure about it as she is quite bad at maths and has no artistic/design talent (her words, not mine). She does enjoy writing and is debating a career in writing for video games, or perhaps video game journalism. She thinks this is her only option due to the things I just mentioned. She was going to do a Bachelors degree in Computing and IT and Design to possibly become a web designer, but her passion is video games and she wants to follow that, so now she is thinking of doing a Bachelor's degree in creative writing as a first step towards games writing career. She has some questions I am hoping someone can answer.

Is writing for video games her best option if she can't do maths/digital art, or wants to test games?

If she does want to fully commit to being a games writer, would a bachelor's degree in creative writing be the best option for her? Even if that course doesn't include fantasy, science fiction, horror, etc?

Advertisement

While maths is at times used on the programming side of game-dev, I don't think that it's the biggest part of it.

I'd suggest that, before she settles on a path, she try a few tutorials for programming (especially tutorials geared towards game-dev) or for specific game-engines, and see how she takes to it.

If she takes to it well, then it might provide another option toward entering game-development. And if she takes to it only somewhat, then having picked up some knowledge of scripting might still be an advantage in entering the field. (Especially if she applies to smaller companies, where a secondary skill might be valued.)

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

I'm a games writer and have 28 years of experience in the industry. It's always best to have as wide a range of knowledge as possible in any kind of creative endeavour. Game writing is not just about writing stories but also understanding story logic, working with the designers and the rest of the team and knowing how an interactive story will unfold.

If you and she are interested, I recently released a book aimed at younger people - An Introduction to Game Writing. It takes the reader through the process and requires no previous knowledge. It can be ordered from local bookshops, online booksellers or directly from Amazon.

One Amazon review: “This is a great book. The author, who is hugely experienced in the video game industry, takes us through the process of putting together first an outline, and then a working version of a narrative game using Twine. He shows us the underlying narrative structure of one of his games (Broken Sword) and how to replicate it, giving a strong basis for whichever direction you want to take with your own ideas in the future. Great stuff!”

None

Becoming a games writer requires two things: knowing how to write and knowing how to adapt the craft of writing to the unique needs of games. Both are best learned by practice, although reading and attending school certainly won't hurt.

If she isn't already using Twine, I recommend exposing her to it. Twine is a great tool for making short narrative games for people with no artistic or technical skills who know how to write.

You might want to expose here to scratch, a highly visual way of learning to program, everything is at a center stage where the story unfolds. While technically it may be programming, it's likely better to sell it as “a way to tell a story”.

You may also want to see about tools in the interactive fiction area, it started with the traditional text adventures, but there are also point & click tools, and tools for visual novels, but that may be too much about graphics.

I'm not in the games industry, but I would imagine the amount that the relevance of creative writing skills in game development will vary, casual games on a phone might need little to no storyline. But some games will require a huge amount. One old title that springs to mind is Max Payne with not just the cut scenes but also the graphic novel running alongside the game. While the plot will be outlined initially, it will be the job of writers to turn it into a story that grips the player.

Have you considered showing her something like RenPy? You can see results almost straight away - it's mainly used for virtual novel games but would be good for learning how a game's story flows and how it is structured.

Well, I think the key take away is she's 12.

There are some people who know what they want to do at such a young age, but most do not.

If she can't do programming or art, music is another path, besides writing. Another path is business, management and psychology.

QA testing is usually entry level, and it may look like fun and games from the outside, but the reality of the job is anything but fun.

I understand you want to be supportive, but steering her down a singular path at this early stage would prematurely narrow her potential career options.

Your worrying about college majors when she is 12, think about that for a second.

A lot can change about a person as they grow up, and pigeonholing down a singular path that early in life can be detrimental.

If she likes to do creative writing, then tell her to just write. That is what all writers say.

Getting an appreciation of how traditional linear narratives work is critical, so later you can understand the differences in dynamic narratives.

Art and programming can be acquired skills, so trying those out would also be good.

Keep in mind also, that a degree is not the magic bullet that will land you the job. Or the career you want. She should be working on side projects and her portfolio when she can.

One critical thing to remember is to foster her passion, explore. She's only 12.

If she still says she wants to do this when she's 17 and 18 than seriously consider these degree options. Maybe she can be a freelance writer?

Ask her what she likes about games?

Ask her why she wants to do it as a career?

Ask her what she does on her free time?

If she just likes to play them, then that is different from actually making them.

If she is spending her free time writing narratives for fun for free, than you know her passion.

Saying you have a passion for games is like saying you have a passion for reading. Reading a book is different from writing a book.

Our company homepage:

https://honorgames.co/

My New Book!:

https://booklocker.com/books/13011.html

I just watched this video a couple hours ago, and then saw your post and the replies - great timing ?. It's a great talk, and, BTW, the concepts also apply to screenwriting (ie. movies, TV shows, videos) - so that could be another career path.

While I agree with most of what GeneralJist said, I think he comes in a little hot. The key here is that you don't want to push her, simply support her. Don't give her crap if she changes her mind or finds a new favorite idea of what she wants to do with her life. My parents pushed me away from a trade career when I was young and I have struggled for years. Now that I'm in my 40s I felt the need to start over and computers/gaming have been a common companion throughout my life.

The big takeaways here are that you have started out right, asking for advice. My advice is to educate yourself on the pros and cons of the games industry. In doing this you can give HER better advice when the time to make decisions comes. For now, get her books, pay for a bootcamp or program, let her put it out there without reprisal or judgement from her family and no pressure to produce anything aside from an experience.

Peevil said:
While I agree with most of what GeneralJist said, I think he comes in a little hot.

Maybe it's in my tone? My writing often comes off a different way then how i speak. In no way meant to be not supportive.

Being a game dev is the hot old trend, and almost everyone wants to be one. However, the simple fact is not everyone is good enough to be paid for it.

Under no circumstances invest in a game degree. Let her explore on her own. If she has the passion she will gravitate twords the right people and places all on her own.

Our company homepage:

https://honorgames.co/

My New Book!:

https://booklocker.com/books/13011.html

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement