🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Where to start!

Started by
12 comments, last by TimM93 2 years, 9 months ago

@GeneralJist
I apologize for the delayed response. I have been buried in my computer attempting to learn Python starting with the basics.

Full transparency here. I honestly chose Psychology because it was an easy path to a bachelors degree. Did not have any passion in regards to a degree in college as college in my honest opinion is a huge money grab for nothing in return. No real life appliance taught in college. I just happened to be a good test taker and passed all my courses with flying colors. My line of work consisted of a Data entry job at a start up for a lighting company. Since it was a start up, I managed many different aspects in the company. All the way from customer service, logistics, web site administration and even back end product development. Then once the company moved to Miami(and I with them), after two year I decided to move back home (NYC) and pursue a career in Real Estate as an agent. Doing very well till Covid hit and screwed the entire industry over. After some time, I realized that my entire family has history as very high level programming/software engineers. Example. My Uncle was a programmer for 20+ years working in co like Nasdaq, Duetchbank etc. Now he is a Architectual manager in a firm to over seas in Russia.

Point being. I have close relatives who can assist me with this field of work. Only issue is I started learning Python and after one day of learning, I forget everything I learned the previous day. Even as simple things as “what do loops do and what is a while/for loop”. When I start, or should I say TRY to code, I end up just staring at the screen having no idea on how to even start. Can not even remember how to form a correct variable. Frustrations obviously set in and mind starts to race. Forgot even the basics.

All I am asking is how to correctly pace yourself on learning how to code. I know game dev is a difficult field to be in, but learning just the basics will at least put me in a comfortable area where I can at least code a simple calculator without going back to a tutorial video.

Any advise?

Advertisement

TimM93 said:
All I am asking is how to correctly pace yourself on learning how to code.

That's going to depend on you, whether you try taking classes or teaching yourself, and if the latter, are you a good teacher and are you a good student. And if you're teaching yourself, are you doing it in a way that works effectively. I guess what I'm saying is, think about what it would be like to learn if you took a class. How would the professor pace the material, and would that help you remember what you did the day before. If you're always forgetting what you learned the day before, repeat it - do the lesson repeatedly until you don't forget.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Understood. From what it seems. I just need to test the entire field out and see what I like. Nothing comes easy and it will take some searching in the broad field of programming. You may never know. Maybe I will end up being a data scientist/engineer for a co instead of a programmer/developer haha. Thank you for all your help and good luck with your gaming projects!!!

-Tim

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement