🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Likelihood of finding day jobs for indie devs in same industry?

Started by
4 comments, last by hplus0603 2 years, 10 months ago

Hello,

So I've been doing this indie dev thing for a while now, and I'm constantly perplexed by the reactions I get from others, both in games in tech, and out of these industries.

So I'm looking for a day job right?

And it seems if I apply to any games companies, most of the time, their reaction is we are impressed, but we don't want you, I contrast this to before we were incorporated, and it seems the fields were greener. At least back then I was getting interviews.

It seems they want you to make your own games and mods to show your dedication, but they don't want you to make a company to compete with them?

In tech, it's seen as impressive, but also a bit of competition? My results have been mixed.

And in other industries, it's seen as impressive and since it's not in any way linked to anything they are doing, They are likely to consider hiring you.

It just seems odd that the people that are most likely to understand what you are doing are the least likely to hire you, and the people that have no idea what your doing, are the most likely to hire you.

Anyone else have any experience to share?

Can anyone explain these disconnects?

It's Frustrating because how are people meant to get the experience to work at these big AAA companies, if they are not doing their own stuff?

Any Hiring managers have any perspectives to share?

I understand, if your doing your own thing you may be less dedicated, but TBH it IMO it all comes down to power and control.

Our company homepage:

https://honorgames.co/

My New Book!:

https://booklocker.com/books/13011.html

Advertisement

GeneralJist said:
It seems they want you to make your own games and mods to show your dedication, but they don't want you to make a company to compete with them?

Interesting observation. I imagine the scenario from the point of view of the interviewer. I imagine myself as the guy interviewing your application. I check out the links in your cover email, and I google your name, check LinkedIn, maybe Twitter, Instagram, etc.

As a producer in a major game company, when I'm looking to hire an individual programmer for my team, I expect the candidate to have an online portfolio. Maybe even a blog. But if he's got a company… Even though it's just him… His portfolio is basically a company site of a developer looking to monetize his games or obtain publishing deals or development contracts... I don't get a lot of confidence that he's going to shut that down while employed, nor that he'll be a fully engaged loyal employee, dedicated only to my company.

So your observation totally relates.

If you had an online portfolio, rather than a company showcase, it would seem more like you're serious about looking for a job.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Agree to what this --^ man said. At least there are doubts that you will spend most of the time into your own thing, maybe at work (you might not do that but this is how people's brain work). The other more dangerous perspective for the company is that you might get knowledge during your job (which is a natural process) which you can use to push your own company further. It might sound marginal but the core is that the company you're employed at is paying you to do things and obtain knowledge to make your job even better but on the other side you're a competitor on the same area. In my country, this is prohibited as of the contract you sign, you're for sure still allowed to do your stuff as a hobby and also to have a company, but that needs to cover a different area than what you're employed for.

This said and if people are impressed about what you do, why don't ask if they want to overtake your project along an agreement to hire you until the project is done?

Hmm,

Ya, This is one major issue I'm having, where all of my other team mates can in theory find jobs easier in same or similar industries , I as the producer/ project coordinator and guy who runs everything can not. I am stuck to finding experience in other industries, some of which also have similar concerns.

It seems most people think people can only be dedicated to one organization. Which is not true.

The irony of my situation, is I would love nothing more than to dedicate myself to one organization.

But isn't it ironic that hiring managers don't want you to be productive in an organized fashion, anything before a company is nice and hirable, but after it's a company, it's seen as spreading your self too thin.

What's wrong with doing stuff on your own time after hours? and over weekends?

I guess there is just some uncertainty if that will remain on your off time, and might cross into company time. But when there is company down time, it just makes sense to plug away on your own projects, if there is nothing to do.

I'm in California, where non competes are not enforceable. So I don't have to worry about that.

In my interviews so far, I've come across 2 general reactions:

1. Sounds cool, why do you want to work for us if you have your own thing?
  2. No acknowledgment that I'm doing my own thing, and they don't see it as “Real” experience

I've thought about taking all of my game stuff out of my resume, but then it looks so bland boring and cookie cutter.

Showing what I've been doing for 10 years has help me land some of the other jobs I've had.

I'm reminded of this one email I got a while back, basically the guy said he wanted to join my company, learn our secrets, and make his own company, it wasn't exactly like that, but that was the impression I got.

The irony of all of this is I never intended on starting a company, I never planned my life this way, it was just a natural evolution of all the things I was doing.

Come to think of it, if a well respected AAA company I applied for, said we'll hire you full time, but you need to drop what your doing on the side, I'd have a hard decision to make, I'm the “CEO” whatever that means, disengaging myself, is not so easy. I could in theory do it, but in practice, it's another thing.

Our company homepage:

https://honorgames.co/

My New Book!:

https://booklocker.com/books/13011.html

If someone is interested in hiring you, they are looking for a full time employee who doesn't have too many other demands on their time.

So, if your resume says:

• Started and ran a game company, developed games X and Y, ran out of money and shut it down

This is great! You're a driver, an entrepreneur, and you know how hard it is to make successful games. Also, there's something there that they can look at for a portfolio.

If your resume instead says:

• Currently running a competitor that is my main love, and all my real dedication goes here while I'm using the bigger employer as a meal ticket to finance the company

Then this is a lot less enticing to a potential employer.

Depending on state, you may or may not even be able to work on other games. In California, your employer has no rights to things you do with your own equipment on your own time, as long as you also put in a full day for the employer. This is likely one reason why so many successful start-ups spin off of bigger companies in California. In other states, the main employer may be able to enforce a contract that says that anything you invent while employed is their property, which greatly cuts off the ability for employees to innovate separately. (California companies may still want you to sign such an agreement, but doing so is not enforceable. See a lawyer if you want all the gory details for some particular case.)

enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement