🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Game Programming Almost degree

Started by
11 comments, last by rafaelsantana 4 years, 3 months ago

@rafaesantana I was thinking about that actually, I really want to be the go to guy when it comes to modifying and understanding the game engine. In addition, I know that knowing how to handle graphics is super important as well. I have a few game engine books that I wanted to program my way through and then go back to making some smaller unity games for the portfolio. I think the last elective I will take for my schooling will be Virtual Reality next fall.

Hold on light, it is only gonna get brighter!

Advertisement

GaryLougheed said:

@rafaesantana I was thinking about that actually, I really want to be the go to guy when it comes to modifying and understanding the game engine. In addition, I know that knowing how to handle graphics is super important as well. I have a few game engine books that I wanted to program my way through and then go back to making some smaller unity games for the portfolio. I think the last elective I will take for my schooling will be Virtual Reality next fall.

I have kept the development of my 2d game engine rather under wraps, I'm literally just doing it for fun. I am slowly being more open about it but on other forums, I have been given rather negative feedback on the project. Usually it is..

1. you are wasting your time
  2. why don't you use unity?
  3. you think you're the next john carmack

And more …

I am not wasting my time if I am learning and discovering by problem solving. Why would I use Unity if I'm not making a game? I want to write the code for the underlying framework that makes the game work so that I have a better understanding of how things work and I have learned lots. And finally, the only person I am trying to impress is myself.

I love working on it, it is a fun and challenging project that has turned out really well, even if it has taken me close to a year to get to where I am, it wasn't easy but one thing I didn't do was give up.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement