🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

I'm not learning anything in university. Should I drop out?

Started by
125 comments, last by GeneralJist 7 years, 6 months ago
That you don't need to learn this skill in college yourself is great, and sets you a little ahead of some of your classmates, probably, but it won't be a shining bullet point on your resume. Be wary of that.

Of course, you are right. I don't know why, but all companies seem to focus on whether you have first class honours, or a certain amount of GDP (in the USA), for me doesn't measure anything, except that you just did what you are told and that's it. For me, it sounds a lot better when I see someone that did all the stuff on his own without doing it for degree. But this seems not the case with most HR guys, apparently (from the opinions I've read here)

I should point out like I feel like you keep saying this ("I can learn stuff on my own") like it somehow sets you apart from your peers in school. It doesn't though; what sets somebody apart would be the inability to do this

Nooo, it's just that I pay and do all the stuff my own. I don't set myself apart from others, there are a lot smarter people than me, I know people that simultaneously go to uni and make 2000-3000 pounds a month working as freelancers. It's just that it seems very flawed to me, the whole system, but nothing I can do about it.

Bregma thinks the same way about me, maybe you are right then. :lol:

Advertisement
I for one would not be silly enough to comment on the cost efficiency of an education program I know nothing about.

Why not, Josh, everybody says something stupid from time to time. Especially presidents, these days. :lol:

EDIT: sry for triple posting, I didn't see that.

I saw the argument that university doesnt really get tough until x way through. This is a bogus argument. At 18 years old universities should NOT have to pander to the lowest common denominator. It should be sink or swim, if people dont want to apply themselves on the first day they should GTFO. Its a waste of tax payers money to host a bunch of boozy lazy teenagers in an educational setting.

I blame blair labour government, they increased the number of people going to university to breaking point and without proper checks in place free market economics took over. The demand went up and the quality went down. Now there is a generation of unqualified graduates and they don't even know they are unqualified. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/education/1789500.stm

Of course, you are right. I don't know why, but all companies seem to focus on whether you have first class honours, or a certain amount of GDP (in the USA), for me doesn't measure anything, except that you just did what you are told and that's it. For me, it sounds a lot better when I see someone that did all the stuff on his own without doing it for degree. But this seems not the case with most HR guys, apparently (from the opinions I've read here)

People try to throw HR under the bus for this. But look, it's very simple. As a hiring engineering manager, I have a stack of a dozen resumes on my desk:

* I have time to interview 3 candidates

* 12 of them have outside indie game projects

* 12 of them have the capacity to learn things on their own

* 11 of them have full undergraduate degrees

* 2 of them have master's degrees

* 8 of them have prior professional experience or significant internships

* 3 of them fulfill desirable diversity characteristics

However the numbers shake out, I need to filter the list and I'm going to start by cutting everyone with no internship and no degree.

I saw the argument that university doesnt really get tough until x way through. This is a bogus argument. At 18 years old universities should NOT have to pander to the lowest common denominator. It should be sink or swim, if people dont want to apply themselves on the first day they should GTFO. Its a waste of tax payers money to host a bunch of boozy teenages in an educational setting.

We're not talking about lowest common denominators in the sense of trivially easy courses. If you're taking second semester Intermediate programming in C++, but you've been programming for years, you have a leg up over those who are new to it. It would be foolish to complain about not learning things at this stage. Both types of students will get beaten down when they get to computer architecture or compilers or crypto.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

However the numbers shake out, I need to filter the list and I'm going to start by cutting everyone with no internship and no degree.

Harsh. :o

Well, twelve CVs is not a representative number. I'm a hiring engineering manager, and I would love to have only a stack of 12. More like 2000, maybe 20 of which are in any way relevant, for one position. Being harsh at hiring time is 200 times better than trying to be kind at firing time.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

Being harsh at hiring time is 200 times better than trying to be kind at firing time.

Hahahaha.

Hiring manager at one games company I worked said to me once:

It takes an awful lot of skill and also a lot of luck to make it in the games industry. These guys are unlucky?

He then split his pile of demo discs and applications in half and dumped one half in the rubbish without even opening them.

bros, this is kind of off topic, but 90% of game developers seem to hate their job. Almost every article on the internet that is called "So you want to be a game developer" says why not to become one.

He then split his pile of demo discs and applications in half and dumped one half in the rubbish without even opening them.

This guy is a savage. Be scared of him.

bros, this is kind of off topic, but 90% of game developers seem to hate their job. Almost every article on the internet that is called "So you want to be a game developer" says why not to become one.

People who dislike their job are predisposed to be more vocal about why. Most of what you hear people complain about are not universal truths, they are just things specific to a particular company or set of companies, so you just have to make sure that you don't work at a company that supports practices you feel would be undesirable.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement