🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

I'm not learning anything in university. Should I drop out?

Started by
125 comments, last by GeneralJist 7 years, 6 months ago

it's not their job to tell you why you didn't make it, it's your job to be introspective enough to try and figure it out.

Nice!

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Advertisement

^The more and more I'm in the job market, the more I think that's what what it really boils down to.

Introspection.

Is the person honest and introspective enough with who they are, where they are, and who they want to be?

Do they have the skills to back up their talk?

This is of course withstanding standard biases in people and society, such as how taller more masculine looking men get more responsibility...

I think however, as we move to more phone interviews and remote work, those conventional implicit biases will be set aside, for more merit based systems.

Our company homepage:

https://honorgames.co/

My New Book!:

https://booklocker.com/books/13011.html

Thanks again for the replies, guys. And you were right about them not even seeing my resume. I had a link to my code on my CV, and I just saw that on tinyupload.com, you can see the number of times your file has been downloaded. They haven't even downloaded my file, fuckin bastards, why do they even advertise their fuckin internship, when they won't see my CV, so they can lower my self esteem when I get rejected by a robot? :angry: :angry: :angry:

When you find the person you need, remove the fuckin advertisement, assholes.

Nice!

yeah, tom, really nice, man.

GeneralJist, Tom, how can I be introspective when these suckers throw my CV without even looking. I have a very simple stupid question for you. Why can't they design their stupid website to have a limit on the number of CVs that they can receive, so when they reach that maximum, then STOP the internship and say it's over and nobody can send anymore CVs. Is it THAT hard? :angry: (venting) I don't understand how this is supposed to be ok. I don' stay the world should change to meet my needs, I'm the one who has to change, but these guys suck hard.

Why can't they design their stupid website to have a limit on the number of CVs that they can receive, so when they reach that maximum, then STOP the internship and say it's over and nobody can send anymore CVs.

Because they don't limit the number of applicants, they limit the number of people they accept for the role. Even if 100 people apply, maybe none of them are good enough to be accepted so they just leave it open till they fill roles.

Maybe they had just filled the role and hadn't had the time to update the site. Maybe tinyupload counter is wrong? Maybe tinyupload has been blacklisted on their work network because of security reasons? Maybe they read the CV and that was enough to reject you without seeing the code?

There a bunch of reasons why that code wasn't looked at. Did you have a project overview page either in the CV or online as a portfolio before you gave a link to the code itself?

This is usually my order of reading applications that come my way:

1. Cover letter

2. CV

3. Portfolio

4. Any extras

I rarely reach stage 4 unless 1-3 showcases the skillset that we need for the role.

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

The tinyupload counter works alright, I tested it. If it was blacklisted then they could have told me. The CV wasn't enough for them to reject me, I think, because I passed all of their qualifications and even the bonus ones.

The one thing that could have happened, is that they read my Cover Letter first, as you do. Because I don't write cover letters, I don't see the point, but I guess I should start to do it. But they didn't want any cover letters.

Thanks for trying to help. I didn't know that people read cover letters first, like you do, for example.

I guess I need to write something cool.

If it was blacklisted then they could have told me.

Extra friction and when you are one of many applications, it's easier to just reject. Doesn't mean it is right to but that is the way it works.

The CV wasn't enough for them to reject me, I think, because I passed all of their qualifications and even the bonus ones.

Are you sure? Was they anything in the CV that they could have rejected you for despite passing the qualifications?

But they didn't want any cover letters.

Did they explicitly say 'no cover letters' or did they not just not mention them?

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

They just wanted me to attach a resume and I posted my CV.

But man, you are right, there are tens of different ways for something to go wrong, something happened, I just don't know what.

EDIT: and maybe my CV was bad, who knows, seems good to me. :lol:

EDIT2: yaustar, you have shipped very cool games. Good job, man. :o

Cover letters are just standard operating procedure.

Even if they don't specifically say it, add one anyways.

The entire point of a cover letter is to attract them to read your CV/ Resume, and prove to them you read the job description, highlighting how you have the qualifications they're looking for. (They do not have time to hunt through your resume to figure it out manually, that's what ATS, recruiters, and sourcers are for.)

There are even some companies who instant reject anyone who doesn't have a cover letter.

The job market is not fair, efficient, nor empathetic, any mistake or deviation from what they happen to be looking for at the time, reject.

The discipline to not get upset, and just keep trying is something everyone learns as they get older, and more experienced, it's a life long process to not let rejection & obstacles slow you down too much, or stop you.

Our company homepage:

My New Book!:

Cover letters are just standard operating procedure. Even if they don't specifically say it, add one anyways.

These days if you apply by email, your email is your cover letter with the resume attached.

Big companies that use large HR software systems will discard everything except your resume. Some will even give the choice to directly use your linkedin account or your attached resume, and will tell you that other material won't be used. When the team leads like me get the stack they are trimmed down to just the resume. It doesn't matter if you provided it, we won't get to see anything other than your resume.

Right,

The cover letter was for everything and everyone else before you^, the hiring manager(s).

I've never seen any company say they will not consider anything else except the resume/ linkedin off the bat. (maybe it's just me)

Whatever may be the case,

I just don't want to give the OP the impression that the cover letter is not necessary in most cases.

The only situation I'd say, it's not necessary is if you are reached out to by an internal recruiter, or you have a staffing agency working for you. They are meant to sell your resume to everyone else.

Our company homepage:

My New Book!:

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement