🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

I'm not learning anything in university. Should I drop out?

Started by
125 comments, last by GeneralJist 7 years, 6 months ago

If these people are so busy, do they stop to take a shit once in a while?

Has the time for that toilet visit been properly recorded on your time sheet? No really I had a boss who insisted we log every second and micro managed my time like that. It sounds to me though that perhaps they're a small company without a separate hr department and reading cvs and portfolios takes time away from production. It's much the same where I work now and that's not gamedev. If it isn't an immediate business need, it gets back burner'ed...

Remeber that in a lot of cases hiring an intern will actually cost a business money even if they don't pay a wage. An intern still must be supervised and have a mentor, while someone is supervising and mentoring an intern they can't do their normal work or will do so in a reduced capacity. Hiding an intern is an investment hoping to be paid back in the future once you have real skills, and can also be a risk. Because of the risk they don't hire many and won't hire just anyone they're looking for an aptitude to learn without consuming too much mentoring time.

Hope this helps!
Advertisement

Okay, if I'm some HR guy, and I don't want to bother myself at all with giving personal feedback because I don't feel like it or I'm really busy, I would just send a 5-6 bullet points as an overall feedback for everyone that didn't qualify. Just 5-6 points for everyone. 50 seconds max. Something like:

1. Most of you didn't have any side projects that they did in their free time and we value this a lot/whatever.

2. We prefer such and such games 2d/3d, finished/unfinished, unity/opengl/whatever.

Just a few hints would be really helpful. I don't say that they are obliged to do it. But it can do a lot more positive things, just by taking 1 minute of their time to give people feedback.

Yeah that bugs me too. Even a single click canned auto response is better than no response at all which is just plain rude but unfortunately the hard truth of job searching in any industry. Don't let it discourage you because it's not any reflection on you or the quality of your portfolio usually, just "the way the world is"...

It could also be that the company doesn't want to risk responding with anything negative due to the legal concerns of doing so. For example where I work now it's policy to never provide references positive or otherwise because of past issues it has caused. It's a shame really that a few litigious people ruin good things for the majority...

Now that I think about it, they probably haven't even taken a look at my resume, because there was a question "Have you been referred by one of our employees" and I said no.

Maybe they had like 6+ guys that have answered yes, and they were the only ones that had their resumes looked upon.

It isn't because they are cold-hearted or because they don't have time.

If they write "We didn't pick you because x", a large percent of people will reply, "I have x here and here and here! Hire me anyway!" Some may demand another interview so they can prove they have the thing, others will call and otherwise make themselves a nuisance.

Even more critically, a small percent of people will find a way to turn it into a lawsuit. "You said it was because of X but it is really because of {protected status}."

Sometimes when you are new to the workforce if you follow up with the rejection letter asking how you can do better, some companies will respond. This is more common in smaller companies.

Generally in the real world when sending out job applications about half send an automated reply that they received it and you never hear back, about half send a canned response that your application was reviewed and you were not selected, and a small percentage want to talk to you in an interview.
Okay, if I'm some HR guy, and I don't want to bother myself at all with giving personal feedback because I don't feel like it or I'm really busy, I would just send a 5-6 bullet points as an overall feedback for everyone that didn't qualify. Just 5-6 points for everyone. 50 seconds max. Something like:

It's also a legal thing. It's far safer for the company to say nothing than something that they could be potentially be liable for.

Edit: Ah, frob covered it already.

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

Even more critically, a small percent of people will find a way to turn it into a lawsuit. "You said it was because of X but it is really because of {protected status}."

With that in mind, don't you find the world we live in perverse?

Like, hiring someone is a kind of non-compelling, entirely optional thing. It's within your self-fulfillment. Most individuals never hire any other person in their entire life (if you don't count "hiring" a plumber or getting your car repaired). It's your decision whether to hire someone at all, or who to hire, or who not to hire. At least, you'd think it is!

But if you don't hire someone, and you are kind enough to tell them why they weren't your choice, you can actually be dragged to court... now I wonder when Apple will realize that they can sue you for damages if you don't buy their products.

But if you don't hire someone, and you are kind enough to tell them why they weren't your choice, you can actually be dragged to court

Yes but at the same time, we have anti-discrimination laws for a good reason and employers should be held accountable.

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

bros, sending to big companies doesn't work. I decided lower my aim. :mellow:

There are 358 game studios in England, I will spam to every one of them. Goal is to get feedback from somewhere. :cool:

But I will do that in the summer because first I need to improve my portfolio. Life sucks.

UKIE's game dev map https://gamesmap.uk/#/companies and gamedevmap http://gamedevmap.com/ should help in that respect.

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement