🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

CPC

Started by
12 comments, last by Tom Sloper 8 years ago
I know 3rd post in a short amount of time. U are just a great source for information for noons like me.

I have other question about CPC and how to find the right buyers. Is there a special site people go asking for others to advertise for them? Or do you try to hit up companies through personal emails? I read online that they pay $.5 to $1.5 per click. I know a lot determines on buyer, seller and age of users clicking. Do you think 10 cents a click is reasonable for a game? Or do you think more like 25 cents to 50 cents? What's your expertise on this? Thank you :)
Advertisement

It does not matter if you think 10 cents is reasonable or not, the rates are what they are and that is what you will get, no more. You might be able to demand more if you have a huge user base but the reality is 10 cents might be high, the reality could be far lower and there will be nothing you can do about it.

I found a post on Google. Person says 10 cents to $3.

There you go then :)

There are only a few companies/sites that will provide the adverts to you and there will not be much difference in the rates.

Not sure how much you will make in adverts but I doubt it is much at all. I personally have never clicked on any mobile advert and would block them if I could. I tend to avoid all apps that display adverts.

IMHO you are far better not having any adverts, they only piss people off, and monetize in game purchases. Just don't be a douche about that or you will drive people away. Pay for customisation instead of pay to win is the way to go.

I think you are putting the cart before the horse in all this though, your other posts have you saying you have got a game idea and that is it. So you probably have many years ahead of you before market as you have no dev experience at all.

Do not waste time exploring how you will make money, it will all be wasted time if you do not create the game in the first place. You have a long journey to go, worry about the part of the trip that matters at this point.... can you create the game and once created is it fun?

You current strategy appears to be underpant gnomes based

1) Have game idea

2) ?

3) Collect proffits

1. I think you are putting the cart before the horse in all this though, your other posts have you saying you have got a game idea and that is it. So you probably have many years ahead of you before market as you have no dev experience at all.
Do not waste time exploring how you will make money, it will all be wasted time if you do not create the game in the first place. You have a long journey to go, worry about the part of the trip that matters at this point.... can you create the game and once created is it fun?

2. You current strategy appears to be underpant gnomes based
1) Have game idea
2) ?
3) Collect proffits

1. Actually, it's highly recommended that the market monetization method be considered during the design phase. He is not wasting time to ponder this at this point.

2. Here, you say he's guilty of not thinking about the market monetization method - after you tell him not to! "2) ?" = monetization.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

1. I think you are putting the cart before the horse in all this though, your other posts have you saying you have got a game idea and that is it. So you probably have many years ahead of you before market as you have no dev experience at all.

1) Have game idea
2) ?
3) Collect proffits

1. Actually, it's highly recommended that the market monetization method be considered during the design phase. He is not wasting time to ponder this at this point.

2. Here, you say he's guilty of not thinking about the market monetization method - after you tell him not to! "2) ?" = monetization.

Sorry, but after his last few threads it triggered me to post that. Basically, he has come up is "an idea and done all the math" whatever that means. so in his words "all the work has been done, just need it coded. why will nobody write it for me"

He has has at least one post closed and keeps spamming. I will stay out of it now but the reality is that unless he steps back, learns to code then yes, it is actually pointless looking at underpant gnomes step 2 unless it involves "learn to code and write game". Without that no form of monetization is actually worth anything at all and never will be as their will never be a game to monitize

I'm 30 years old. I have a job that earns 6k a month. I can pay for a developer. That last idea I scratched it realizing i need more money if I want to pursue it. I came up with much more basic game. Believe what you want. I'm use to pistamistic attitudes since my job is a salesman and closing the sale, advertising for my sale is all my job. 100% pure commission. No help from anyone. I'll probably just pay someone cause I'm lazy and don't want to learn to code. I would rather do all the art work. And my questions are legit. I Google them and ask here to see what people say. I will build a game. Just a matter of time.

The fact you think click ads are annoying and you don't recommend it is not a good idea. This is where the majority of the revenue comes from a free app game unless you sololy have an amazing game that keeps players spending money. That is harder to do. I would rather offer in game items if you watch an ad. Keeps the game free and not a pay to win.

1) Have game idea
2) ?
3) Collect proffits

Sorry, but after his last few threads it triggered me to post that. Basically, he has come up is "an idea and done all the math" whatever that means. so in his words "all the work has been done, just need it coded. why will nobody write it for me"

He has has at least one post closed and keeps spamming. I will stay out of it now but the reality is that unless he steps back, learns to code then yes, it is actually pointless looking at underpant gnomes step 2 unless it involves "learn to code and write game". Without that no form of monetization is actually worth anything at all and never will be as their will never be a game to monitize

His threads are entertaining to read though.

The fact you think click ads are annoying and you don't recommend it is not a good idea. This is where the majority of the revenue comes from a free app game

How do you know this?

You have come go to a games development community asking advice of those with experience. You got that experienced response from someone who knows what they're saying. At present you've made no games and have Zero experience.

Do you walk into a bank and ask for a mortgage and when they tell you the repayment schedule, do you then say "no, I know better and I will pay $50 a month"? No, you listen to those who know what they're taking about.

I'm saying this with all sincerity and I hope you take it on board, as from your past posts it seems people offer well intentioned advice that you don't pay attention to or choose to argue is wrong.

I also have a bit of experience making games and in app purchases make lots of money. Most ads only pay per click (you know this as you said cpc, which is cost per click) and people don't click ads on purpose often. Conversion rate for ads to purchases is less than 1% (simple market research will tell you this) so expect to invest in 100 clicks at least for every customer, if not a lot more. Price your game or content accordingly.

Google will bring you lots of visitors, it's up to you to convert those visitors to sales otherwise those clicks are wasted money. It can quickly suck your marketing pot dry.

Good luck!

This might prove insightful for the OP. It is a breakdown of some ad revenue projections based on CPM instead of CPC. It is based on 100000 downloads, conversion rates and customer lifetime projections. CPM is probably a better pay than CPC in a game because if someone is playing a game that is their focus, not the banner adverts.

https://www.quora.com/How-much-ad-revenue-can-be-expected-per-100-000-downloaded-iPhone-iPad-apps

So with 100000 downloads you could potentially earn around $10000 if you manage to get a good conversion rate (10% is VERY high) AND your game is sticky enough that people enjoy it and play for a while. 100000 downloads is also a high number, many apps will see a fraction of that

You should also explore these and other articles you will find online before you shell out the tens of thousands of $ required to pay a dev. The quotes that should make you stop and think is

"The median revenue for developers was $3,000. This is lifetime revenue, regardless of how many games each developer made"

"About 25 percent made $100 or less; another 25 percent made between $1,000 and $10,000"

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/average-revenue-iphone-game-60261.html
http://theappentrepreneur.com/app-making

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement