🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Our Ghosts of War - A 400km2 World War 2 Sandbox Survival Game Developed in UE4

Started by
73 comments, last by JumpCheck Community Mgt 6 years, 5 months ago

Finished Character!

lj6hxe.jpg

rgPY7p.jpg

Twitter: [twitter]ourghostsofwar[/twitter]

Advertisement

Really enjoying seeing the development of this game.

How long till something playable comes along?

Great work so far! :)

I figured it was about time I started responding to you. Sorry I've been very busy overlooking everything about the project. I think we'll have gameplay ready to show in the next month or two. We had a couple of coders quit recently which has slowed things down. The individuals we've hired to replace them start in September. We've also brought on another few coders to help but they're not experienced enough to handle things like netcode at the moment. Instead they're working on the birds, vehicles, and character customization.

Here's the plan right now:

01. Get multiplayer running on a test map.

02. Do a wildlife pass including the birds you've seen posted already.

03. Work on our gunplay.

04. Add crafting elements.

05. Create additional rendering tools for UE4 to increase graphical fidelity (aka create SMAA for UE)

06. Apply for an Unreal Development Grant.

06. Apply for an Unreal Development Grant.

Good plan, but is there any reason you can't start the process of applying for this right now?

So long as you have a strong foundation it might pay to begin sooner rather than later so that if you do get the funds you can put them into developers and art. Also have you started your social media and greenlight etc campaigns yet? All these things are best started near the start of the project rather than near the end to gain momentum.

Hope this is good advice! I've been working on my own UE4 games for quite some time, and promoting heavily on twitter for almost a year now...

We've setup a twitter here: https://twitter.com/ourghostsofwar - We're also in the process of creating our website and will create a facebook and IndieDB page at the same time.

I guess my general concern is that I feel like we don't deserve the grant yet and that we need to have gameplay ready before we will deserve it. There's a lot of projects that do really good art but end up falling off. Allison's Road is one such example. And to be quite frank we're promising the world and we haven't really proved that we can deliver the whole package yet.

We've proven that we've got the art side in the bag. There is no doubt that when this game gets released Our Ghosts of War will offer AAA graphics to the community. But the gameplay is still questionable and I'd prefer for people to get into our Alpha and our Beta and play the thing and post their impressions publicly regarding their experiences. It's then that we'll prove that not only are we capable of making a game with AAA graphics but a game that's good in its own right.

But until then I sadly feel like a beggar asking for a handout rather than a developer asking for a grant. :unsure:

Bazooka WIP

m9bazookahpwip1.jpg

[COLOR="#FF0000"]It's happening! Bird poop!
f324962014180f33ac8c0b9fe75c24fd.png

This our first attempt at an Our Ghosts of War title screen. The music will definitely be replaced. We are experimenting with the kind of ambiance we want to set when players first start up the game. Additional rain and water VFX are being worked on.

1_3029.jpg

Florian and I review his progress with the German Tiger I tank. We're at the moment going for the most realistic depiction of tank combat we can manage. If this however ends up not being as much fun for players we'll end up toning the simulation aspect down for playability. And as always we would be ever grateful if you could help us get the word out about the game. Thanks for checking us out.

m9bazookahpr1.jpg

m9bazookahpr2.jpg

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement