🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

No Answer about Application - Am I totally useless?

Started by
67 comments, last by notnoted 13 years, 8 months ago
Ok, since you all try to help me, I simply stop arguing against you and I just present 98% of my resume to you. I hope this thread is not completely messed up.

Quote:
Application Resume

companyname is developing for multiple platforms, so even entry level programmers need at least basic knowledge of some of those platforms. I have developed graphics applications for the Playstation 3 and for the iPod that makes me a suitable candidate as a junior C++ Programmer at companyname.

As I am programming C++ since 8 years, I do have the required ability of strong C++ programming knowledge. This skill extend to include programming with several libraries including STL, Boost, Qt and others. I also use my own C++ template based math library for my C++ graphics engine because I love to do graphics programming.

Multiplatform

Multiplatform also means, developers must also be able to program multiple graphics APIs such as DirectX or OpenGL. My 4 years of OpenGL experience, even with the newest OpenGL 4 graphics pipeline, I will be able to be swiftly appointed to programming the Playstation 3 suited for your needs. Please refer to my Bachelor thesis downloadable from the website, where I worked with the new tessellation pipeline using OpenGL 4, with implementation of common techniques in that area. It is not only my OpenGL and C++ skills that speak for an opportunity, but also my experience in programming the IBM Cell Be Processor within the Playstation 3 that accounts for that fact. On the website, I present my project I did on the Playstation 3 which was about ray tracing on the IBM Cell Be Processor.

State of the Art Skills

With my demo engine, written in C++, I gained much insight into how to program an abstract multi threaded graphics engine that is able to use DirectX or OpenGL as an underlying graphics API which also strengthened my programming skills. With this engine, I experienced a lot of GLSL programming not only in the common sense of using shaders to display objects in a shader centric graphics engine, but also in using shaders as a way to perform general purpose tasks on the graphics card. This particularly includes post processing effects like HDR rendering for example. During my Bachelor thesis, I extended my engine so that it is able to render objects using the new tessellation shaders which also allowed me to explore the newest OpenGL 4/4.1 graphics API in more depth.

Further Engagement

Additionally, I attended to Master courses of advanced computer graphics at the college and I also worked as a tutor in those Master courses during my Bachelor studies for several times. There I did not only support and communicate with my fellow students but also extended subject related tasks taken as lab assignments.

My experience tells me that my abilities and skills are not common for college level students with similar degree or even with a Master degree, which does not come from nowhere but from spending much spare time in the area of computer graphics and my engagement in the Master degree courses.

A Resume

Due to my experience, I think I can be a valuable Junior C++ Programmer in order to participate to the companyname 'sdevelopment team and its workflow, but I am also very keen to extend my knowledge and experience by working together with professional developers at companyname. My intention to working at companyname is not only to make cool games but to make cool games combined with high performance real-time graphics.

Further Contact Information

Please visit my website I made for you at

http://companyname.mydomain.de
Username: companyname
Password: password

where I gathered some pictures and further interesting information about my work I did so far.

Please use the email address companyname@mydomain.de in order to further contact me. I am really looking forward to hearing from you.
Advertisement
Ok.... Your resume is pretty bad. I can promise you that no one is even reading it. I should be able to get 90% of the information I need by skimming. If I can't it goes directly into the trash bin. Resumes aren't supposed to be essays that I have to read, they're supposed to be bullet points. If I'm interested in the top level bullet points, I'll read the rest. You're making it very hard on the HR person to read your resume.

I personally can't read your resume even after trying. There's not a skills section I can skim to that has a list of programming languages, I have no idea when skimming how many projects you've worked on.

Employers will almost certainly not visit any website you link. They will certainly not enter any username/password. 100% of relevant information must be in your resume and attached portfolio. If you have a demo game or assets, include them on a CD (it should not require an install).

Something like this is what a resume should look like (replace each employer in this with each project you've completed). Since you have no work experience your resume should definitely not be longer than 1 page.
Direct link in case image eventually fails:
http://www.allfreeresume.net/tag/sample-resume/

-me
Additionally, I would strongly reccomend that you have a native english speaker do a pass on your writing. While I can understand it, it's not fluid text and some of your turns of phrase are just a little clunky.

Again you should probably not even have complete sentences in an actual resume, but here's a quick pass at some grammatical corrections just as a demonstration.

Quote:
Additionally, I attended to Master courses of advanced computer graphics at the college and I also worked as a tutor in those Master courses during my Bachelor studies for several times. There I did not only support and communicate with my fellow students but also extended subject related tasks taken as lab assignments.

Quote:
Additionally, I completed a Masters programs in advanced computer graphics at <College Name>. I also worked as a tutor in that program several times. I not only supported and communicated with my fellow students, but I also <I honestly have no idea what the rest of that sentence means>

-me
Thank you for your quick response.

I found very similar resume on the internet, but my problem was how to replace the parts of work experience with my personal experience. Can I put it the same way?

Due to the education section, how many information is needed in this section? I mean, how long do I have to trace back?
Quote: Original post by notnoted
I found very similar resume on the internet, but my problem was how to replace the parts of work experience with my personal experience. Can I put it the same way?

Yes. Just use similar formatting. One little block for each major project. Don't bother including "non-interesting" projects. The basic format is something like the following (listed from most recent to oldest)

Project Name (Project Date)
- bullet points for key features (NO PARAGRAPHS!!)

Due to the education section, how many information is needed in this section? I mean, how long do I have to trace back?

Only include University or higher degrees. So your undergraduate degree and your Masters degree or whatever.

-me
Thank you for your quick response.

Education should only go back to whatever you did when you finished high school. You can put down personal experiences similar to work experience.
Quote:
Employers will almost certainly not visit any website you link

This is a bit strange, because I read the exact opposite on the internet. I read that websites are preferred over direct data packages.

Or is it more like a personal taste?
This is a bit strange, because I read the exact opposite on the internet. I read that websites are preferred over direct data packages.

So you can link downloads, certainly. What I meant is that the website should not contain any information that is vital to them making a decision. Point being, they're not going to visit it unless they are already interested based on your resume. So don't have resume stuff on the website. And having a username/password bar is definitely bad. It should be a generic website that has your entire portfolio and is selling yourself; it doesn't need anything company specific.

Personally, I prefer both sending the portfolio and having it online. You want to make it as easy for them as possible.

-me
I started sending my portfolio as a PDF along with my application materials. It's RIGHT for the employer to look at along with my resume and doesn't involve them starting up their browser, visiting my site, etc
Quote:
Employers will almost certainly not visit any website you link

Or is it more like a personal taste?

First, let me say that if you keep on this trend of better cooperation and accepting feedback, you'll be a much more attractive employee.

Second, I think the fundamental issue is that you need to make the jump from strictly looking at things from a job seeker perspective, and put yourself in the shoes of those people hiring. Once you do that, you'll get a better intuition for what will get you a job.

Writing a good resume isn't like writing a good school paper or a story. It's about getting the information that hiring people want to see in front of their eyes with the least amount of effort. They'll tell you what they want to see in the job posting, so simplify your layout to point form and put the skills they ask for at the top.

Two days per application is excessive, although not surprising - it took me that long too when I first started applying for jobs. I'd suggest working hard to get that down to about an hour at most. Preparing a resume should be mostly about editing and rearranging to match the job posting (only takes a few minutes) and the remainder should be spent researching and writing a good cover letter. It's okay to have a basic framework for this that you work from.

To answer your question, it is a matter of personal taste to a certain extent. Some people will prefer a website while others won't bother. You can't really predict who will look at your application and their preferences, but you do know that they're busy and you should make it as easy as possible to get the information they need to call you for an interview. That probably means getting rid of the login requirement at least.
[size="1"]Try GardenMind by Inspirado Games !
All feedback welcome.
[s]
[/s]

[size="1"]Twitter: [twitter]Owen_Inspirado[/twitter]
Facebook: Owen Wiggins

[size="1"]Google+: Owen Wiggins

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement