🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Free Resource Thread (updated 5/27/06)

Started by
83 comments, last by Namethatnobodyelsetook 14 years, 9 months ago
Quote: Original post by Key_46
is the PhysX still alaviable to use as 3rd party lib.?

Wow. I didn't really pay attention to the page. It looks like the SDK's out and the Physics Processing Unit is in.

Maybe it should be removed from the list, entirely.
"It is not enough to merely faces one's fears. One must run screaming toward them,"
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by Dark Adept

Wow. I didn't really pay attention to the page. It looks like the SDK's out and the Physics Processing Unit is in.

Umm... Not sure if you mean the SDK is no longer available, bit it is. They're also working on, from what I read, a card that will work with laptops too and a PCI-E card?

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin

Came across this video:
">Kaya, the running horse!
and this wikipedia article showing and explaining the different stages of a horse's movement. Might be helpful for people wanting to animate their 'ponies' for the contest.

*edit* fixed the link
( not sure where else to post this )

[Edited by - userjp on October 4, 2007 2:00:34 AM]
Check out my 4E6 progress!( Personal Guarantee! You will NOT get rick-rolled. )
Quote: Original post by Mike2343
Quote: Original post by Dark Adept

Umm... Not sure if you mean the SDK is no longer available, bit it is. They're also working on, from what I read, a card that will work with laptops too and a PCI-E card?

PhysX for PC is free for non-commercial projects, but the big downside is that the end-user must install the PhysX drivers. PhysX has a software fallback if the PhysX physics accelerator card can not be found (which is what the drivers are for).
Steve 'Sly' Williams  Monkey Wrangler  Krome Studios
turbo game development with Borland compilers
also check out www.soundsnap.com for loads of royalty free sounds
Someone needs to update the free resource thread. I was going through the engines and there are a few that aren't free. Nebula is one I remember off hand that wanted money.
Quote: Original post by wiggyh
Someone needs to update the free resource thread. I was going through the engines and there are a few that aren't free. Nebula is one I remember off hand that wanted money.

Nebula is most certainly free:
Quote: The Authors hereby grant permission to use, copy, modify, distribute, and license this software and its documentation for any purpose, provided that existing copyright notices are retained in all copies and that this notice is included verbatim in any distributions. No written agreement, license, or royalty fee is required for any of the authorized uses. Modifications to this software may be copyrighted by their authors and need not follow the licensing terms described here, provided that the new terms are clearly indicated on the first page of each file where they apply.

http://nebuladevice.cubik.org/license/

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

hi, i found a caustics generator in this site

it has antialiasing, blur and can save animations
Can I use my own MP3 file (I have rights to use in the game) in my game in MP3 format legally? Or do I have to transform it to another format (OGG..)?
The MP3 file format is protected unfortunately. You can use Ogg without restriction and Wave as well I believe. Alot of people use WAV but they are huge files.. An Ogg file can produce the same quality as a wave at 10% of the file size.

I havent read up on the MP3 license recently but to use in a commercial project requires massive licensing fees last time I checked.

Mark MacPherson
Flybynight Studios: Owner
Current Skillsets: Project Manager - Team Lead - Scripter - 2D Artwork - Basic 3D Modeller - Web Development - Marketing - Administration

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement