🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Action/Adventure design discussion.

Started by
30 comments, last by Fantasy Edge 23 years, 8 months ago
well. the flow of life energy is not perpetual. when you are sent to either side you are their forever. Im gonna take out the thing about demons and gods going to the human world.
And yes, my main character mostly demon. its actully cool because here armour is all black gold but is also graphted to her almost like it is grown. as for the death thing, there will always be death. although you will never go to the plane of gods for some reason, and later in the game when you fail in protecting the astral gate, you are forceably sent there. anyhing about the magic system that i might improve on?

I am not text, I am not organized pixels, I am not killed by turning off your monitor, I am not isolated by turning off your computer. I just am.

Conshape Electronic Arts

Advertisement
As much as i want to perfect the magic system, I am also interested in how the games world will work. i want it to be very interactive. I imagine it sort of like hey, you are not all the powerful but you can use the world around you in your fighting stratagy. I had a vision of a great big battle where your character is forced to run away with her tail between her legs. this is all well and fine but in her way is a rather large town. in an effort to sheild this town from certain doom, she sets fire to the forest near it in hopes that the monster chasing her will be pushed away. in effect it only makes it more powerful, but you are not meant to know this. you then have to weave in and out of trees; with this thing chasing you untill you get the idea to force it into a rather large formation of tree stumps. these will detain it for a while as you power up to kill it.

things may not work like this as easily as the events will be linier to only a degree. this is where the player must make decisions on how they will use the world to their advantage when they themselves are not sufficient.

any more thoughts?

I am not text, I am not organized pixels, I am not killed by turning off your monitor, I am not isolated by turning off your computer. I just am.

Conshape Electronic Arts

I like the idea quite a bit.

I''ve only just read through all of this thread and the concept seems quite cool. I always get bored of the Tomb Raider, Golden Eye, Perfect Dark, Legend of Zelda stylee games very quickly as there is little development along the way (Ocarina of Time is the only exception to this but it bored me after a while.

One of the more interesting games I have played of late given its fighting style is Gauntlet Legends on the N64. Only problem with that is that the character development is crap and you are limited in your fighting style quite a bit (ranged attack, close attack and magical attack essentially).

Keep us posted on the developments

-- Guard your mind. You never know who is listening --
-- That's my $0.02 worth --
Hang on, where I come from, $0.02 is rounded down. Does that mean my opinion is worthless or priceless?
CHROM
I think the main character should have a different name. The name Anyka conjures up images of an annoying blonde woman grinning inanely whilst running around and jumping out of helicopters
uhhh, intersting.... Im sure that we could change her name if we really manted to but I was always thaught that you never change a characters name after you create them. besides, this name makes it easier to identify her as a real person dispite the fact thats she''s a demon. this game is meant to have an emotionally explosive story line and i wanted the characters to be personal. not these link and laura crap characters that lack depth.

Conshape Electronic Arts

Well I really liked the name myself. It''s the kind of name that hasn''t been over-used, which is nice for a change.

I''ve had some new ideas:
What if Anyka is a demon that was sent to the human world for some evil purpose (to be filled in), but then, for some reason (to be filled in) got amnesia or something. This would be where the game starts. You don''t know who you are or why you''re here, but you gradually discover what''s going on. Since Anyka forgets that she is supposed to be evil she is no longer evil. No she becomes a demon fighting against the demon plane (or Satan, or something).

This could work if maybe for some reason something went wrong with the journey through planes. Maybe someone was trying to stop the people in the demon plane from sending demons to earth. This upset the system and resulted in Anyka being severely weakened and with amnesia.

This would explain starting out with limited strength.

What do you think?

"When i was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse, out of
the corner of my mind. I turned to look, but it was
gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child has
grown, the dream has gone." -Pink Floyd
"When i was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse, out ofthe corner of my mind. I turned to look, but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child hasgrown, the dream has gone." -Pink Floyd
the way the story is meant to progress is very fragmented in my mind. I would like to make the character have some tie to the demons gate but for the most part, she starts as a human with human abilites.

The story starts in ancient times when scottland and ireland were in war with the english. this is actully going to feature a lot the stereo typical angry scott humer but i think that this will be put to good use. I was thinking of making this a game that takes place in the renissance era because the main character shows a very strong interest in art. this is infact how the opening cutescene is meant to work. these are really just places to take inspiration from as the world will actully be origional with its own history and events. not to mention its own world map.

in any event. the main character enters the game at an art exibit in a rather large town. at this point in her life she is a 16 year old theif who is for the most part homeless. she has lived her life by stealing the things that she needs, but she would never steal to make profit. or at least, we are led to think. as the story starts to unfold, anyka finds this flyer about a religious meeting that is led by a group that is said to bring happiness and prosperity to all who they give their blessing to. there is a catch though, anyka must join into their society meaning she will leave all that she has known in her travels across the country side.
Like all things, it looks good on the surface but there is always a deeper evil involved.

This group turns out to be more of a fundamentalist cult that is actully trying to bring the so called god to them. these people are textbook ignorant and know nothing of the planes of existance or the celestual library.

Anyka was never a girl to mindlessly follow ideas or theories. to her, everything that this cult stood for was a theory and nothing more. she had her own ideas that would prove more accurate than she would ever imagine.

Finally a day would come that would prove all of the fears that she had always tricked herself into beliving were false. as an unlucky pick, she and 10 others were selected to become ambasators of the gods. more to the point, this cult selected her to die because she was not faithful to them or their god. this is a very brural death that will scar anyka for the rest of the game. she did make friends and to see them slain in such cold blood was too much.

after a small scene of blank screen and text, anyka wakes up in a place or nothiness. she gets up and looks around for a sec, and just falls back down crying. the idea of her life being over is just too much for her but there is a very strong sense of digavou as she is greeted by a figure covered in a richly textured white cloke. this is where the story picks up a few parts of anyka''s life. this is the celestual library where people are examined when they die and their lives read to determine their coarse in death.

" the second coming of the Vedic dark angel is a time to be selebrated and cherished for it is a time of great change and prosperity"

words anyka would not understand untill her trip to her true home beyond the demon''s gate.

Conshape Electronic Arts

But, if she had forgotten everything then she could have flashbacks and those are cool for plot development.

"When i was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse, out of
the corner of my mind. I turned to look, but it was
gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child has
grown, the dream has gone." -Pink Floyd
"When i was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse, out ofthe corner of my mind. I turned to look, but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child hasgrown, the dream has gone." -Pink Floyd
actully, you are right. however, if i were to do that then it would be a repeating theme in The Mystic Sqare. flashbacks will be coo actully as long as they are executed well.

Conshape Electronic Arts

sooo... is this a dead one?

Conshape Electronic Arts

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement