🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

"My Own Killer Game Idea", or "I think I've lost it completely"

Started by
29 comments, last by Lubb 23 years, 9 months ago
- I am just informed by a boating enthusiast that -MOST- GPS units have an interface method for exchanging data with other systems. There are units retailing new for less than $100. Usually not a lot of features, but most features relate to loading maps into the GPS unit and waypoints and such, and we don''t need any of those features anyway. . . . . .
- Lubb
RPD=Role-Playing-Dialogue. It's not a game,it never was. Deal with it.
Advertisement
While the game sounds fun, something gives me the feeling that game-related arrests would increase by about 10,000%, heh. Seriously, this game and traffic laws don''t coincide very well at all. I think it would be insanity to say the least. I don''t think I''d want to see it.

-Ironblayde
Aeon Software
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!"
kind of reminds me of a game some of my friends used to play called "rabbit". basically, 2 or more people with CB''s in their cars would drive around town looking for each other. im not sure exactly how it worked (i never played it). i think that it was kind of a marco-polo game. if i ask you where you were, then you would have to answer by what street name you were on. then iwould try to get to that street while you were still there or something like that. i dont know.

i like the idea a lot...but you would have to tone it down a lot. instead of many miles, make it a lot smaller like maybe a school campus or something. (i wouldnt want to spend all of my money on a gps, laptop, the game, PLUS gas)

and i think that if you implement this into some sort of palm device would be a much better approach (plus a lot cooler).

-Luxury
- Hmmmmmm: Perhaps during the game, there''s two different sets of bonus objects, one for each team. At the start of the game, there''s a bunch of each scattered randomly around the field. You cannot tell what each is until you pick it up: it could be a stealth, a long shot (5 miles sounds too far right away, maybe 2 or 3 miles) or a "stat-spy". The twist is that you as a player can only see your own team''s bonus objects on your radar - you can''t see the other teams''. This removes much of the incentive to speed because you wouldn''t be racing your opponents to the bonuses - you couldn''t see or pick up theirs, and they couldn''t see or pick up yours. You''d all have to mix it up because you''d all have to go out and pick up your bonuses. The game would mostly involve moving in and out of radar-invisible areas (that drift across the field) while looking for other players. As time progresses, longer and longer range shots would be given out (scattered randomly) to prevent either team from using too much formation and to make it more and more difficult to stay out of range: each team would have to wander all over to pick up the bonuses, but neither would know exactly where the other players were heading. --- It still doesn''t remove ALL the incentive to speed, but s***, have you ever seen the movie "Cannonball Run"?
- Also I dunno how much you could decrease the play distance: I have seen new GPS units for $79, but I do not know how accurate they read. - Lubb
RPD=Role-Playing-Dialogue. It's not a game,it never was. Deal with it.
As cool as this idea sounds, I''m with Ironblayde. Stopping to red lights? Naah, the another "tank" is chasing us...

I think there would be equally much explosions in real life as in the game world

Real paintball with GPS radar, that''d be something. If you could only see your team mates in your palm pilot radar, for example.

-Hans {home page} {e-mail}
Hmmmmmmmmmm............

two words: Laser Challenge.

Strap on an infra red receiving pack, grap a ir emmiting gun
(or a remote control) and grab some people and go somewhere
and shoot each other. That''s fun and cheap and simple.

Also, there''s lots of people out there who are, shall we say,
complete sicko twisted perverts. There are other people out
there who are, shall we say, children. Kids would love this
game because its in real world scale and still a computer game,
but sicko freaks would just get the GPS data off the server and
there''d be a lot of either A: very scared kids running away
from afformentioned perverts or B: very mentally damaged kids
getting caught and molestorized by afformention perverts.

its sad. but its true.

i''d rather just sniff glue and play with firecrackers anyway

----------
"i think that all this talking and such is paining my head to astounding annoyance" - Erick
"Quoting people in your tag is cool. Quoting yourself is even cooler" - SpazBoy_the_Mitey

Disco Love For Everyone
----------"i think that all this talking and such is paining my head to astounding annoyance" - Erick"Quoting people in your tag is cool. Quoting yourself is even cooler" - SpazBoy_the_MiteyDisco Love For Everyone
quote: two words: Laser Challenge

- Laser Challenge is boring because there''s no special conditions that can be used, except for putting duct tape over your IR sensor. -This game would allow (through the server) field "conditions" -that is, information- that Laser Challenge cannot. The field has to be big enough to force the players to rely on that infromation during play though, which means automobiles.
quote: ..... Also, there''s lots of people out there who are, shall we say,
complete sicko twisted perverts. There are other people out
there who are, shall we say, children. Kids would love this
game because its in real world scale and still a computer game,
but sicko freaks would just get the GPS data off the server and
there''d be a lot of either A: very scared kids running away
from afformentioned perverts or B: very mentally damaged kids
getting caught and molestorized by afformention perverts. - Spaz/

- Well, not to pick on only one critic, but this game would require one to have motorized transportation. That means 16 yrs old minimum, in the US at least, or a driver at least that old. How''s a pre-vert gonna catch you while you''re driving around in your car, anyway? And since you''re in immediate contact with, and your position is known to the server and the other players, it''s not like you''ve got no way to ask anyone for help if you get a flat tire or something.
- And the transportation requirement pretty effectively filters out real -young- children from playing, , , , , and the procession of the program makes using cheats fairly difficult, since the radar data and stats are all generated on the server and then sent out to the players, who only get the data they''re supposed to have, when they''re supposed to have it. Since players will occasionally spot each other IRL, cheating by sending totally false GPS coordinates to the server isn''t likely to work for long. What were those two complaints about online games? Never meeting people and cheating?
-
-
-
-
-
- Ah well, maybe you''re all right. It does sound silly, I mean, who would do all that for fun? Okay, I''ve got another idea: it''ll be a game where you are a knight, and you have different kinds of points for different stuff, like health and attack and experience. There''s villages and towns and even castles to conquer and explore. You go around killing orks and goblins and dragons, using spells and swords and battle axes and maces and stuff. There''ll only be hot chicks, and they''ll all wear G-strings! And it''ll be online, so you can fight other people!! It''ll be totally cool!!!(.....zzzzzzzzzzzzz......)
- Lubb

Handheld computers - NO - make a gps-cartridge for gameboy !
//~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~I'm looking for work
The play field of your idea doesn''t suit itself well to computer game. You could buy a field or warehouse or something and have the players use go-karts and laser-tag guns. Its more of an embedded control idea, maybe a lcd display for the radar and damage mounted on the car. Anteneas mounted to the cart for free-space tranmission, and you could use differential gps with a known base point gps reciever in the warehouse or field.
You could even affect the manuveroring capibilities of the kart given thier damage, forcefeedback stuff on the steering wheel...

I like the warehouse idea, becuase you could have ramps & multiple levels - it would need to be big though... like mall sized.
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
Heh, a cool idea, for sure, but doesn''t a game like Laser Tag lend itself to that even better? Basically you''re trying to take an inherently non-social medium (internet multiplayer notwithstanding) and trying to mix it with ACTUAL interaction.

------------------------------
Changing the future of adventure gaming...
Atypical Interactive
------------------------------Changing the future of adventure gaming...Atypical Interactive

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement