🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

more mature games

Started by
27 comments, last by Paul Cunningham 23 years, 10 months ago
Listen to my idea since i''m a fanatic abandonware collector and since i''m bored of "Restarting in MS-DOS mode" or starting with a system disk.

I have Dos 6.22 in three 1.44MB disks.
What i plan to do is this:
1)Format my HD and install DOS.
Then install Win 98 on top.I think the old DOS OS is being kept
and you can still "load previous operating system"
(at least you could in Win95 in the menu before windows starts.I don''t know about Win98 but i''ll check it.)

2)Delete my current partitions and create two other partitions.
In the first partition i''ll put Win98 and in the second DOS(can this be done?It can be done with Linux but with DOS?)
If this is going to work i''ll get a boot manager and boot the OS i want.

3)Just have Win98 and use a plain system disk with only the necessary files and the appropriate autoexec and config parameters for more memory.

4)By a small 2GB HD(second-hand if necessary) and place DOS in there.Then get a boot manager.

What is your opinion on these?Which can work and what do you think it''s the best solution?

Voodoo4
Here these words vilifiers and pretenders, please let me die in solitude...
Advertisement
"I think this is pretty spot on, who would agree or disagree and why?"

Disagree. Because I am an adult and I love fantasy as much as ever. And I know a lot of adults who love fantasy and "unrealness".

I''m guessing you''re not an adult, or at least not elderly?

I''m not elderly, but I can tell that there are older game players who love fantasy. I''ve met them.

Some people do have an impression that fantasy is "for children" -- but this has nothing to do with age; it has to do with culture. People don''t lose interest in the fantastical because they grow up; they lose interest because they think they are supposed to or because their tastes change. Imho. :-)
the girl
quote: Original post by girl in the box

I''m guessing you''re not an adult, or at least not elderly?

Who? Me? I''m 11 years old actually. Just jokes

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
quote: Original post by Paul Cunningham

I played Sential Worlds about 3 months ago, i''ve still not finished it. I remember getting all the way to the end fella and he''d pissed off because i took so long. My excuse is that i was having too much fun blasting all the guards to kingdom come, i didn''t want it to finish and i''m not going to so there

Awesome! How do you like them Raiders so far? Not to spoil anything, but did you find the easter egg level on Ceyjavik? It''s hilarious, and it''s TOUGH!!!!

quote:
A thought comes to mind about examining those old games for game design research. It''s probably easier becasue your not getting side tracked by tonnes of cool graphics?!

Yes, yes, yes! I think ANY game idea should first stand up to a test: Is it still fun with crappy graphics. If it is, you know you''ve got the game happening mostly, as Sid Meier said, in the player''s head. Then add cool graphics and be a best seller!

quote:
Its nice to meet someone who''s played Sentinal worlds (check, C64?)

Whoa, C64? Wow, I didn''t know they''d made it for that platform. I played it on 4 3-1/2 floppies. It''s such a cool game, wish I could find the sequel (Hard Nova???).

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
quote: Original post by girl in the box

Some people do have an impression that fantasy is "for children" -- but this has nothing to do with age; it has to do with culture.

This is actually the most serious problem in converting non-gamers to gamers. They''ll sit for an hour and watch some silly sitcom, but even serious, dramatic games are considered immature. It''s the same with comic books and graphic novels. It''s totally cultural. Notice that, in Japan, adults read comic books on the subway and it''s no big thing.

--------------------
I just go around crisping all the raiders, i love the comments that the character make. It''s pretty cool how they used 3D in the game. Ceyjavik would have to have been the best area in the game imh, the easter egg level was very neatly done, lots of fun There''s some many good areas in the game its hard to say which one was best but i really like the way the Aliens were a mining culture with a religious leader. That was new and a suprise.

So there was a sequel ?! Do you know if it was done on the C64? What did you play it on again? Do you know how well that game sold too? I had to borrow a friends original at the time, i don''t think i gave it back either oh well (:

Our Goal is "Fun"!
quote: Original post by Paul Cunningham

There''s some many good areas in the game its hard to say which one was best but i really like the way the Aliens were a mining culture with a religious leader. That was new and a suprise.

Haha. "We dig. We dig for evil..." The Koshol were pretty cool, I blasted ''em by accident when I first saw them. (That was a reload!)
BTW, I thought it was hilarious how all the portraits of your characters were movie stars. Casey Tarrell was Sigourney Weaver, TJ Roland was Arnie, and Roger Maddox was Arsenio Hall!!!

The sequel, Hard Nova, didn''t do so well. Not sure why, I never got to play anything but the demo, which was pretty cool. They beefed up vehicle and space combat, added tiled graphics for the party (no more "combat helmet that can see where the eye cannot" :D). You could also have aliens in your party, and there were multiple star systems (5, I think).

I''m still looking for a copy. I only saw the PC version, but until today I didn''t know there had been a c64 version of SW, so you may be in luck!

--------------------
Here''s a little psychology from weirdowe''s part...

Maybe the reason why the mature game-players need more realism as opposed to children is in imagination. As a person grows older hes/she starts making mental baundaries, chalenges things better and is less naive, and this influences their imagination in a way. A kid sees an anvil falling on the Silver or the Wascawy wabbit, and it''s hallarious, because they don''t question where the anvil came from, it''s just funny; while a more mature person chalanges the idea of Acme-made anvils falling like raindrops, and dismises it as plain stupid. And just the same applies to games.

This idea could as well cary over to why clasics are so popular by adults, because they liked playing them when they were 10 or 12 or whatever, and it brings back the inner child.

But for the rest of us we need games that have a 18+ rating, and have blood gashing everywhere, rusty chainsaws cutting bodies, weird mutants and naked whores fireing the flamethrower yelling, "HOW do you like that ASS FUCK ??!!!"

<&nsbp><&nsbp><&nsbp> Anyways my head hurts I''m gonna have a pop-tart now ....

~Weird_OWE~

~Weird_OWE~
Well, how related is Sence of Humour and Sence of Entertainment. Why is it that somethings are funnier and more enjoyable many times over and something else isn''t? It has to have something to do with intelligence/yes?!

Stupid people don''t grasp a very versitile sence of humour without it having to be explained for them. A lot of it comes down to mood too and other psycological trait elements like introverted and extroverted personalities. I''m starting to think that trying to understand this thing is more like trying to understand an ecosystem. And everyones'' is different!

Our Goal is "Fun"!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement