🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

You have an ugly (inter)face

Started by
43 comments, last by Landfish 23 years, 11 months ago
Like SimEarth! =)
Advertisement
Ya know, Landfarce, this might be the AI you want. Once it learns the player well enough, it could simply stay in the game working as the player 24/7 mebbe even have a lil * next to the name to let people know they''re a computer.. hehe.

J
Seems like everyone is on the same track here, headed back to the gone gone days of leisure suit larry and heirs, wherein finding a clever way to reward odd little phraseology was the job of the game designer.

I''m going to step away and repeat what''s already been pointed out: one reaches the point of information saturation long before the character''s portrayal becomes reasonably realistic.
- What''s the difference between 37 and 36 on the friendly scale while approaching orc chieftain #7? Oh, yeah, if you use 36 he gives you the wand of mistaken identities whereas on 37 he only gives you the spectacles of mistaken identities...

Why not try for a coarser representation? Sum up as much information as possible in a single aspect of the character! Use the walk to communicate intent in situ: in the presence of a physically attractive character, a slow approach becomes a saunter, whereas just outside of an enemy encampment it becomes a stealthy approach. That''s what context sensitivity is all about, of course.

Also, though it''s completely hypocritical on my part to say this, the player isn''t going to be a programmer and he or she isn''t going to want to manage a large number of variables. More importantly, it must be fun to manage those variables. MUD players notwithstanding, the more immediate the stimulus-action-response chain is to the player, the better off you can be. Of course, the aforementioned lounge lizard series did indeed incorporate fun into the discovery of the interesting bits, and so it remained fun pretty much all the way through. Strive for that. One of the reasons why a-life is so interesting and motivating is the emergence of its behaviour is, and the ease with which it steps outside of the bounds of its initial capabilities. Strive for that same idea in an interface. Give the player very simple sets of actions - walk, communicate intent, utilize object - and try to create a world that responds immediately and clearly to those stimuli. Look at roller coaster tycoon: it''s immediately apparent when things are going wrong, and it''s often apparent exactly what''s going wrong, though not always. The game is simple, fun, and, in the right hands, quite deep.

Why can''t another genre utilize the same ideas? I know that there are rpgs that use an attitude system on initial approaches, although some are clunky. But great long conversations can be pretty annoying if they get you nowhere. In order to crack a larger audience, if one is so inclined, the interface must struggle to streamline and polish itself. Sports games and RTS games both share powerful, streamlined interfaces and large audiences. Why? To some extent content itself is a factor. But the knowledge that the moves remain recognizable time after time must factor in somewhere.

Start small. Use just the essentials and provide good context sensitivity. So your ugly-as-sin character is trying to get the barmaid on the go, hey? well, saunter (walk slowly) up to her and pull out (ie utilize) a few coins before she turns away in disgust. Once you''re close enough, communicate a compliment (click-on-eye) and perhaps a word of thanks (suggestions?). Perhaps even an interest in her (box around her??) or a desire::meeting. The words matter in the real world, but in the virtual world it is up to the designer to decide whether they should matter. Maybe the character that is being played may even begin to surprise the player. Maybe that could become annoying, but maybe it could be fun. One never knows with such matters until the writing is already on the wall.

Use a moment-to-moment philosophy in the design and maybe things can begin to fall into place. Context sensitivity: crucial. Simplicity: crucial. Immediacy: crucial. Power: relative and inherent. Chatter: a matter of taste.

I hope this brings something new to the table.

mikey
mikey
I dunno about you guys, but I was thinking more along the lines of multiplayer. In fact in a rather Landfishy spirit, I was thinking about Multiplayer without any obvious NPCs. In other words, I thought that all this visual communication was more for other players than than NPCs. It''s really just VERY complicated emoticons =).
quote: Original post by pacman

You could even take a page from Vampire and have the chars face at the bottom of the screen, and this would be where you could show the facial expression. Hey, (another idea), when someone talks to you, a little window could pop up with your char''s face on it, so they could see your char''s emotion.

-------------------------------------------
"What''s the story with your face, son?!?"

as much as i hate the stupid little faces at the bottom of the screen....you could have your face at the bottom, and you could use your mouse to customize the facial expression on your face. want to smile? just click on the corners of the mouth and pull them up a little bit. then just raise the eyebrows, and you ingame character now has a very basic smile on his face. and then you could have an automatic timer where it will reset itself to a neutral position after so many minutes.

this way every facial expression will be totally different from another, and would provide UNLIMITED faces. i really hate the idea of hotkeys....i am a FIRM believer of keeping thing simple. and this seems very simple from a players point of view.

-Luxury

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement