🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

You have an ugly (inter)face

Started by
43 comments, last by Landfish 23 years, 11 months ago
How ''bout Annie? =) Even more misleading...
Advertisement
quote: Original post by Anonymous Poster

How ''bout Annie? =) Even more misleading...

Ano sounds foreign.

J

thought I''d just jump in here...

**Seduction? And what would that lead to? Virtual Love Making? (Simulate that! ...or get a life)**

(sorry, don''t remember how to do the quote thingy)

Virtual love making, while not necessarily a good idea, could lead to a certain other things to deal with. Think if there was a given percentage of a chance that a player could give birth? While giving a nine-month period for the birth would undoubtedly just drive players mad, what if you wrote in a one-week period before birth, and then the children were controlled as NPCs by the software? While they could just sit around and be useless, they could also be used to give players something else to do besides just hack monsters up.

And what if a player owns a cottage and leaves their kid around? I don''t think players would like having their kids taken away by some kind of organization in the game, but what if they left one day, only to return later and find their kid killed by a band of goblins? Not only would this give players a legitmate excuse to hack, slash, maim, kill, or otherwise injure monsters, but it could also lead to bigger things. What if a player has (essentially) a 16-yr. old daughter that gets taken by a dragon or something? (Sorry to sound cliched with chivalry, but it''s just an example.) The character may not be able to take it on by themselves, but they could post to get together a group to go rescue her. GMs could then script in other encounters to make it a more real adventure.

Those are just some thoughts, and they may have already been covered (I only read about 1/2 the board...) but I thought I''d mention them anyway.
WNDCLASSEX Reality;......Reality.lpfnWndProc=ComputerGames;......RegisterClassEx(&Reality);Unable to register Reality...what's wrong?---------Dan Uptonhttp://0to1.orghttp://www20.brinkster.com/draqza
Back to the body language subject, why not have automatic animations for the different emotions (has this been suggested already?)? The angry char would stomp around instead of just walking, the sad/shy char would walk around with their head hanging, etc. This has been done before, but not at a constant rate (from what I''ve seen anyway), and would greatly express the emotion of the char to everyone else.

-------------------------------------------
"What's the story with your face, son?!?"
-------------------------------------------The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still.Exodus 14:14
While we''re at it...

How about giving players the ability to CUSTOMIZE their own body languages?

This would require a fully functioning skeleton and movement system.

A player would ''simply'' do this:

1) Decide he wants an ''angry'' body language.
2) Customize facial setting into angry pose.
3) Put skeleton in some sort of hulk pose.
4) Create hotkey combination, for example CTRL+A(ngry)

Now, whenever the player is walking his character around the forest, and suddenly sees a cute little goblin (combat examples just are easy to use), the player can access his angry mode by pressing CTRL+A. Maybe his pose might scare off the goblin. If it would''ve been a bear instead, maybe the angry pose might''ve actually taunted the creature into an attack where it might''ve otherwise left the player alone (how to design an AI that allows NPCs to detect certain ''body languages'' is another thing altogether, but we could take lessons from nature on Earth)

This way, each player would have their own specific body language.

Silvermyst
You either believe that within your society more individuals are good than evil, and that by protecting the freedom of individuals within that society you will end up with a society that is as fair as possible, or you believe that within your society more individuals are evil than good, and that by limiting the freedom of individuals within that society you will end up with a society that is as fair as possible.
Well pac man, we''ve pretty mcuh said that the would be the way to do it. The animation would actually be determined by (at least) three variables, not one. One would make the system so obvious and contrived (i''m angry now, see how angry I am?!)

+Mood Setting (the setting the player has dictated to the player)

+Friendship values (The sum total of friendly/hostile entities in present company)

+Environmental values (weather, wounds, fatigue, etc, will all affect body language.)

As a result, selecting a "Happy" moody set when you are bleeding to death in a tundra will come off in a series of body languages that imply you are trying to boost morale.
quote: Original post by draqza

thought I''d just jump in here...

**Seduction? And what would that lead to? Virtual Love Making? (Simulate that! ...or get a life)**

(sorry, don''t remember how to do the quote thingy)

Virtual love making, while not necessarily a good idea, could lead to a certain other things to deal with. Think if there was a given percentage of a chance that a player could give birth? While giving a nine-month period for the birth would undoubtedly just drive players mad, what if you wrote in a one-week period before birth, and then the children were controlled as NPCs by the software? While they could just sit around and be useless, they could also be used to give players something else to do besides just hack monsters up.

And what if a player owns a cottage and leaves their kid around? I don''t think players would like having their kids taken away by some kind of organization in the game, but what if they left one day, only to return later and find their kid killed by a band of goblins? Not only would this give players a legitmate excuse to hack, slash, maim, kill, or otherwise injure monsters, but it could also lead to bigger things. What if a player has (essentially) a 16-yr. old daughter that gets taken by a dragon or something? (Sorry to sound cliched with chivalry, but it''s just an example.) The character may not be able to take it on by themselves, but they could post to get together a group to go rescue her. GMs could then script in other encounters to make it a more real adventure.

Those are just some thoughts, and they may have already been covered (I only read about 1/2 the board...) but I thought I''d mention them anyway.

Of course, it might lead to a ton of other things, like virtual pimping and prostitution ! Or even, uh, some "adult" entertainment businesses .

----------------------------------------
Whenever I see an old lady slip and fall on a wet sidewalk, my first instinct is to laugh. But then I think, what if I was an ant and she fell on me? Then it wouldn't seem quite so funny.
I persoanly liked the emote system from Asheron's Call....you simply typed in *Action* and if it knew the action the player would do what it was. Example *Bow* and the players character would bow.

Edited by - St_Shadow on July 14, 2000 4:27:52 AM
quote: Original post by Landfish

There is NO WAY we are done here. Besides Niphty''s idea and my idea, how else can we handle these things? What''s the least obvious way to do it. I don''t care if it would work or not, I just want ideas! Please help us out, here!

Automatic emotion selection by the computer, with a way to tell the AI whether you agree with it''s current selection or not. Having the AI "learn" how you like your body language would lift the burden of having to do so off regular players, and leave them free to do things other than frantically trying to remember the macro call for that "mooning" emotion.

Give me one more medicated peaceful moment.
~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
ERROR: Your beta-version of Life1.0 has expired. Please upgrade to the full version. All important social functions will be disabled from now on.
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
Yeah, anon, I think what I was trying to say was to pretty much make those animations automatic instead of letting people customize them. Sure, it would be funny to walk around "angry" with your hand on your crotch, but no one does that when they''re really angry.

I think that responding to the environment is a great idea. I also like the action commands, they have that in Vampire, and it''s pretty cool. You type in menace (w/ or w/o a message), and your character starts yelling.

You could even take a page from Vampire and have the chars face at the bottom of the screen, and this would be where you could show the facial expression. Hey, (another idea), when someone talks to you, a little window could pop up with your char''s face on it, so they could see your char''s emotion.

-------------------------------------------
"What's the story with your face, son?!?"
-------------------------------------------The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still.Exodus 14:14

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement