🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Redesigning RPGs!

Started by
26 comments, last by DarkMage139 23 years, 11 months ago
Guilds.

As pleased as I am with the idea of people roleplaying even when it is contrary to the design of the game in which they are doing it, guilds bug me a bit. Not the guilds themselves, but the fact that bad design has lead to a nead for guilds.

As yourself, what would guild players be like in a system that actually NURTURED roleplaying, instead of reducing it to a militant, clandestine activity? Murder based systems discourage roleplaying by their very nature, since you''d be better off out killing things! Actual roleplaying takes on the air of a resistance effort, which detracts from the experience.

Viva le resistance!
Advertisement
DM139, have you considered using skill atrophy?

As an above poster stated, the system as such would not differ much from Quest for Glory one, a pretty easily power-maxxed game. Skill attrition leads to a balance where more active characters are inherently better off than less active characters, but not exponentially like in a normal system.

Consider it. There are variations that make a little more sense too.
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
Well Now,

I thought you had left Landfish.
what are you doing back so soon.

STVOY

Mega Moh Mine!!
Yeah, I knew he'd be back soon. It's too late...he's addicted now

What's skill atrophy again? Is that when skills fall when you don't use them?

"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom." --William Blake

Edited by - Nazrix on July 5, 2000 9:10:39 PM
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
I think pretty soon when some of us RPG lovers get a game out, we will have some really good stuff. The future is gonna be where we actually play the part of who we are in the game. That is the future, so if we can make it to where the blacksmiths are the blacksmiths and the wizards are the wizards and the town drunk is the town drunk, then we have reached a perfect game. Im tired, so ill come back tomarrow.
Skill atrophy? That''s an interesting idea, but I really wouldn''t put it in a game unless I found a good reason to. It''s a little too weird for me.

---

On another note, people used to have to maintain their weapons in the older days, right? So what if you had to maintain your weapons in a MMORPG or something?

- DarkMage139
"Real game developers don't change the rules. Real game developers don't break the rules. Real game developers make the rules!"
"Originality (in games) is the spice of life!"
- DarkMage139
Reminds me of diablo. Every once in a while you would have to fix your weapon with that one skill thing. It was hardly used because you got new weapons all the time, but that thought would have been much better if executed in a better way I think.
Hmmm... should it really be necessary to continue buying new weapons each time? What about just getting a weapon upgraded?

- DarkMage139
"Real game developers don't change the rules. Real game developers don't break the rules. Real game developers make the rules!"
- DarkMage139
On another note, has anyone tried playing politics in a MMORPG?

Yes, it might be possible, not to mention _interesting_ .

- DarkMage139

EDIT:
No, scratch that idea... it might make MMORPGs into a nightmare...

Edited by - DarkMage139 on July 6, 2000 10:41:37 AM
- DarkMage139
That''s the solution I''ve chosen : AUTO weapon upgrade

Nice, and avoid some FMV problems.
(Anyone carrying a katana in FF7 and seeing cloud still using his old weapon in FMV ??)

Not to mention that if you break your weapon you''ll be very unhappy not to say angry.
Time to go in another quest, the quest of bringing back its beloved weapon to life

-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement