🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

The dream game

Started by
28 comments, last by Paul Cunningham 23 years, 12 months ago
Well Ok,lets say i also can get any game license i want...
I would love to make a game based around Resident Evil 2 and 3,but instead of having a game that uses Pre renderd back drops and un-iteractive back grounds the game would 100% interactive real time 3D(A lot like Shenmue on the Japanese Dreamcast).It would kick ass to run around as one of many survivors each with his or her objectives running around raccoon city watching and working together with hundreds (each one with very realistic AI and there own back stories) of people to fight of legions of zombies and creatures (maybe even a Nemesis could show up) while the infestation spreads.Also the player would have the ability to go anywhere (if the means necessary),Use any item you could find (no matter how useless some are),do things like smashing open locks on doors with things like crow bars,Breaking open windows to get into buildings and hot wiring abandon cars to get from one place to the next.
Advertisement
It would definately be Pirates MMORPG. Do you all remember Pirates? For those of you that missed it, mourn. Imagine a realistic Pirates version Online together with millions of players, battling it out in the atlantic, raiding the silver train. Wow what a game!
My dream game....
Hmm, well after i slept on it last night, i think my dream game would be called

"Eater of Dashes"

It would be cool, you are supposed to eat all of the tasty dashes. the scene would be in an haunted house where four horrible ghosts would chase you around. THese four HORRIBLE ghosts would each have their own separate orbs hidden in each corner of the house. Once the eater of dashes ate one of the magical orbs, the ghosts would become invulnerable and edible.
Cool game, dont you think
But it kinda reminds me of a game already existed.....hehehe
My dream game....
Hmm, well after i slept on it last night, i think my dream game would be called

"Eater of Dashes"

It would be cool, you are supposed to eat all of the tasty dashes. the scene would be in an haunted house where four horrible ghosts would chase you around. THese four HORRIBLE ghosts would each have their own separate orbs hidden in each corner of the house. Once the eater of dashes ate one of the magical orbs, the ghosts would become invulnerable and edible.
Cool game, dont you think
But it kinda reminds me of a game already existed.....hehehe
Well it's my turn now ;-)

I would like to make a 3D particle version of space invaders. So instead of there just being 2D sets of rows of aliens i would have rows set behind rows behind rows etc.

You would control a movable catapult that fires explosive cows and goats (and more) at them. With full gore included and cool sound FX.

Occasionally the stupid invaders would crash into each other which would give you the opportunity to hit a hot key which acts as a verbal insult. This would be the heart of the game.. trying to get them to stuff up so you can hear all of the verbal insults available.

The aliens would also be graphically amusing with various animations.

I'd call it Space Invaders for Beer Drinking Laughs. :-) or something crazy like that.

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Edited by - Paul Cunningham on July 3, 2000 12:24:29 PM
I''m an Elite cult member
I would love to create a MMPOG set in that type of game.
MicroSoft''s alliance is an ok game but I want something more to the true feel of Elite.

Dave "Dak Lozar" Loeser
Dave Dak Lozar Loeser
"Software Engineering is a race between the programmers, trying to make bigger and better fool-proof software, and the universe trying to make bigger fools. So far the Universe in winning."--anonymous
Ooh ooh ooh! Ok, I''m thinking it up as I write...

A world modeled on the real one. Real weather, the kind that changes geography. Rain, floods, fires, droughts, blizzards.

Unlimited NPC''s with inborn traits and desires that govern how they live. They are out there living their lives whether you interact with them or not. They each affect the world, colonizing, cutting down trees, killing animals, farming, going to war.

And they breed with each other to make new NPC''s

An economy that works according to real life supply and demand. Things that are truly rare are valuable and difficult to replace. If you can buy bread in a store, it''s because it was grown in an NPC''s field somewhere, harvested, and shipped to the shop where you buy it. If there''s a killing frost in that NPC''s fields, maybe the price of the bread goes up.

A news/reputation system that allows you to talk to people and find out about events as they happen and news travels around. Rumors spawn, spread, and get misreported. A society in which minute details govern how you are perceived and what you can do to/with people.

An ability system that takes into account everything you do, molding your character as you go. Your increased skills have a real effect on how you do things, but you don''t know it through looking at numbers. Skills increase and decrease.

Lastly, an ecology of predators and prey, animal populations that have to eke out a living just like everyone else. This include monsters and bad guys, who can''t sit around in an unopened dungeon for 1000 years on the off chance that a tasty paladin will show up.

Other than that, I don''t suppose I''d do very much.

Ya know what I''d make? In all honestly, not something very inventive.

The problem is that technology isn''t limiting us near as much as content generation is. That''s the hard part: creating the content for your dream game.

----------------------------------------
Whenever I see an old lady slip and fall on a wet sidewalk, my first instinct is to laugh. But then I think, what if I was an ant and she fell on me? Then it wouldn't seem quite so funny.
Hey, if I ever make my fantasy\futuristic MMORPG, not only would you have an entire world to explore as a magic adventurer, but you also would have an entire galaxy to explore.

On Earth, and other planets, I would simulate the real world, using the normal Earth Effects, but you would have real time lava on Venus, you could go floating in the Rings of Saturn, and use black holes to get to the speed of light.

That would probably take a couple dozen supercomputers all strung up together, but if everybody has that much computing power 30 years from now, then I can wait...

- DarkMage139
"Real game developers don't change the rules. Real game developers don't break the rules. Real game developers make the rules!"
"Originality (in games) is the spice of life!"

Edited by - DarkMage139 on July 3, 2000 6:50:54 PM
- DarkMage139
quote: Original post by Julio

I read an article about an actual pro developer that was asked this question. he responded by saying that a simulation of our own world would be the best. you could do anything you could do in everyday life but instead do it in this virtual world. kinda like a second chance at life.

Man, I can barely comprehend how depressing *playing* my sorry life would be. A perfect game would not be the real world *I* live in. I wouldn''t mind being John Carmack or Sid Meier though . I might play as myself if you threw in some added twist, like I get to fly or cast spells, that would be pretty cool. Maybe just some small reality tweaks here and there....

ManaSink

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement