🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Best way to sell a game idea

Started by
13 comments, last by Tom Sloper 1 year, 2 months ago

I am developing a small game and while I'm nowhere near finished, I want to keep the business perspective in mind.

What are the best ways to pitch a new game or game idea, to a publisher or development team? How would I go about trying to sell my idea if it was ready?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

One way to sell it is to make your game so great that it goes viral. Publishers will be clamoring to buy your better mousetrap if you manage that!

You can't sell your idea to development teams - they don't have money like publishers do. A developer who was sold on your idea would have to pitch it to publishers. That said, an established development house would have a better chance of success pitching it than you would.

I wrote an article on how to submit a game concept to a publisher. https://sloperama.com/advice/lesson21.html​ - I think you'll quickly find that NO publisher accepts submissions from anyone who isn't an established game professional.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Tom Sloper said:
… I think you'll quickly find that NO publisher accepts submissions from anyone who isn't an established game professional.

What do you mean by “established game professional”? I've seen at least one indie publisher make a point of noting that they take first-time developers, I believe. (Looking over a short-list of indie publishers, most simply don't say one way or another whether they take first-timers.)

From said publisher's website:

Whether you're a first-time developer or an industry veteran, making a video game on your own can be a daunting challenge. This is where [publisher name elided] comes in.

(Elision mine.)

Are you perhaps speaking specifically of “big” publishers--the likes of EA, Ubisoft, etc.?

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

Thaumaturge said:
What do you mean by “established game professional”?

Someone who is credited on more than one or two released games.

Thaumaturge said:
I've seen at least one indie publisher make a point of noting that they take first-time developers, (Elision mine.)

I suppose some percentage of people who ask this frequent question might be interested in knowing about said indie publisher.

Thaumaturge said:
Are you perhaps speaking specifically of “big” publishers--the likes of EA, Ubisoft, etc.?

Yes, most people who ask this frequent question have said big publishers in mind. I speak from my experience at Atari and Activision. It's very rare for big publishers to accept submissions from industry outsiders.

Tom Sloper said:
Yes, most people who ask this frequent question have said big publishers in mind.

You see, I wonder how true that still is.

Once it was very true, I daresay! But now, with the proliferation of indie publishers, I wonder whether people aren't more likely to at least include indie publishers in their thoughts…

In any case, even if most are seeking to pitch to such big publishers, might it not be more fruitful to steer them towards indie publishers, rather than asserting that no publishers will take them…?

(Especially should they subsequently discover indie publishers, and then on that advice assume that those, too, will take only devs with experience shipping titles.)

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Thaumaturge said:
even if most are seeking to pitch to such big publishers, might it not be more fruitful to steer them towards indie publishers

Go right ahead and say that each time someone asks.

Before pitching your game idea, research and identify potential publishers or development teams that are a good fit for your game. Publishers and development teams are interested in the commercial viability of a game. Research and provide data on the market size, target audience, and competitive landscape to show that there is a demand for your game. Highlight any unique or innovative aspects of your game that can capture players' attention and generate interest. Show that you have a solid understanding of the financial and marketing aspects of game development and are prepared to work collaboratively with the publisher or development team to ensure the success of the game.

StrongMan

Tom Sloper said:
Go right ahead and say that each time someone asks.

Sure, but that means that I have to sit on each such thread that you might take part in, against the possibility that I might have to make contrary claims again.

Not to mention that, as a established and experienced voice on the forum, your word might carry more weight than mine. Or that I might see a thread too late, when someone has already taken on your advice before I have the opportunity to give mine.

On top of which, I might not want to stay on this forum forever.

So… let me suggest, rather, that when you advise people regarding publishers as you have been, you take into account the existence of indie publishers. Instead of claiming that “no publisher will take a first-timer”, maybe suggest that “no AAA publisher will take a first-timer”. (Hmm… Or perhaps better “no non-indie publisher”--I'm not sure about AA publishers, myself.) And so on for other such matters.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Thaumaturge said:
So… let me suggest, rather, that when you advise people regarding publishers as you have been, you take into account the existence of indie publishers. Instead of claiming that “no publisher will take a first-timer”, maybe suggest that “no AAA publisher will take a first-timer”. (Hmm… Or perhaps better “no non-indie publisher”--I'm not sure about AA publishers, myself.) And so on for other such matters.

I took a look at that indie publisher you cited earlier:

Thaumaturge said:
I've seen at least one indie publisher make a point of noting that they take first-time developers, I believe. (Looking over a short-list of indie publishers, most simply don't say one way or another whether they take first-timers.) From said publisher's website: Whether you're a first-time developer or an industry veteran, making a video game on your own can be a daunting challenge. This is where [publisher name elided] comes in.

It wasn't hard to find the source of that quote. Meta Publishing is in Cyprus. I looked at each of their tabbed pages. The Press Hub was particularly interesting; a lot of the links there lead to Google Drive 404 errors. Two of their "press kits" reside on Google Drive, where there are no press releases or written materials, but rather just sample art and trailers.

Not exactly confidence-inspiring.

But I think their Blogs page is full of great information that anybody wanting to pitch to them should read and act on before submitting. They describe in detail how to write a pitch, and they accept unsolicited pitches by email. A fairly rigorous read of the various portions of their website shows that they aren't looking for "idea guys" but rather teams of skilled individuals with realistic plans. Just as with major publishers, they're not looking for paper concepts to buy outright. They're willing to receive unsolicited submissions, which is something you can't really say about AAA publishers. But from what I see, they're not about to throw money at idea guys with limited skills and unrealistic dreams. I also looked at their 8 games on Steam. I don't know if any of those games are on any other platforms, although they claim "we can easily distribute your game to the world through all major platforms" and "We can handle all aspects of porting, so you don't have to choose where to publish anymore."

I understand that you want me to change what I say to idea guys. I'm sorry that I'm not likely to satisfy you in that regard.

(On an unrelated note: one of the spammers who posted in this thread posted a link to a marketing company in Cyprus where you can get advice on how to earn money from gambling ads and adult ads. Cyprus is the same country where Meta Publishing is headquartered. Coincidental? While I was reading up on Meta Publishing and composing this reply, another mod flagged that poster as a spammer and removed the spam link.)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement