🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Bach, Mozart - copyright????

Started by
10 comments, last by Mman 22 years, 4 months ago
Hi, I''m wondering, If I used music by Bach or Mozart in my game, would that be vialation of copyright? I know some modern games use it, I''m just not sure if I can use it for free, I mean, who am I going to pay the royalties too???? Thanks!
Advertisement
You would pay/get permission from whoever produced/preformed the work. Just cause it''s redone doesn''t mean it looses copyright.
their works are public domain since they''re copyrights expired, at least thats what i heard
O O
Copyrights last for about 70-75 years... you are okay to use classical music

The nightmare travels across the cosmos with his burning mane. The trail of ash that is produced.

?Have a nice day!?

quote: Original post by milou212
You would pay/get permission from whoever produced/preformed the work. Just cause it''s redone doesn''t mean it looses copyright.

I dont think so, I think it''s recopyrighted by the people who performed it only if they change it (by adding a guitar or somethin)

but check some type of copyright site just in case...
O O
Dazyna and GoofProg are only sort of right, milou212 is pretty much dead on. The works of music themselves are not copyrighted, but most available recordings of them are indeed copyrighted by the performers. If you can find a non-copyrighted performance, or even less likely find someone to play/record it for you, you can use that.
The last post was correct. To reword it: you can listen to someone''s performance of Bach or Mozart and write it into your game based on that, but you can''t sample that performance and play it in your game.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost ]
I''m not too sure about that, but isn''t it only a copyright violation if you actually SELL the game, rather than distribting it for free?
no no no no no no no

Whether you sell it or not has no bearing on whether the copyright is breached or not. You must adhere to the copyright regardless of how much money you do or do not make by copying it.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost ]
You can use MIDI or play the instruments yourself. Or get some friends to play for you.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement