🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

3DS MAX 3

Started by
6 comments, last by Cameron 22 years, 4 months ago
I''ve been trying to find a place to buy Max 3 for a few days without any success. Does anyone happen to know how much a copy of 3D Studio Max 3 might cost? I am just looking for an estimate for what price range it is in. I''d really appreciate any help.
Advertisement
http://www.discreet.com/purchase/
You can probably pick up a student/education version of 3D Max Studio 4 for about $100 or so.
No, the student edition of 3DS Max goes for about $650.
quote: Original post by Anonymous Poster

Discreet official website is the first place I checked. 3D Studio Max 3 isn''t being sold. Only 3D Studio Max 4

I think to buy 3D studio Max 3, you would have to buy it from a third party company who owns licenses. I am just trying to find out an estimate of how much it might cost to purchase?

For the student version of Max 4, what qualifies you to purchase one? Do you really have to be a student? Cause I''m not. Also, you will not be able to do anything commercial with it right?

Thanks all
No idea cameron.

Failing that though, isn''t there a free cutdown version of Maya being released ?
You cannot produce anything professional with a student version of 3D Max or Maya. I''m not sure if you''re going to be able to find a copy of 3D Max R3 from a retailer at this point. I believe you''ll have to try looking on eBay or some other private party channel. I believe I have seen, at JourneyEd.com an ad from someone selling their copy of 3D Max R3, so you may want to try that.

Basically, I believe you''ll need to go through a private party to get R3 as Discreet wants to push R4 down your throat by now (personally, I prefer R3 as well). Good luck in your hunt!

Charles Galyon
Charles GalyonPresidentNeoPong Software, Inc.
quote: Original post by Cameron
Original post by Anonymous Poster

Discreet official website is the first place I checked. 3D Studio Max 3 isn''t being sold. Only 3D Studio Max 4

I think to buy 3D studio Max 3, you would have to buy it from a third party company who owns licenses. I am just trying to find out an estimate of how much it might cost to purchase?

For the student version of Max 4, what qualifies you to purchase one? Do you really have to be a student? Cause I''m not. Also, you will not be able to do anything commercial with it right?

Thanks all

Reselling software licenses is questionable legally. This is because software is ''licensed'' and not ''sold.'' There are pending court cases on this, but it''s still illegal today.

The _only_ way to purchase 3d studio max 3 legally is to contact a wholesaler or retailer that might have some unsold copies left in stock. I wouldn''t be surprised if they actually charged more for 3 than for 4, since new licenses of 3 are probably in short supply these days.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement