🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Java and C++

Started by
3 comments, last by Holocron 22 years, 5 months ago
Me and some friends are currently developing a MUD using C++, we also have a working knowledge of Java colectively. Is it possable to create a GUI applet in Java that uses the C++ game as a backbone? I was reading somewhere that is possable to do this but It wasnt very informative and I havent been to able to recover that source. Thanks Holocron
Advertisement
How about you just learn how to do it all in C++, and not use Java, that sounds like the best choice.
He said "applet" - how the hell do you plan on implementing that in C++ in a way accessible to most browsers?
There should be no problem in communicating between a c++ program and a Java program as long as you decide on a common protocol for them to use.
I would suggest you look for tutorials on socket programming in Java, and tutorials on using either BSD sockets or Winsock(a superset of BSD sockets) in C++.

(Personally I''d rather write a server in Java and a GUI in C++)

Once there was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time is called the Dark Ages.
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
It is possible, because they can both communicate over a network using IP addresses. Like Arild Fines said, you just have to learn socket programming for both languages.

Another option would be to write a client that people download and a server, this you you could use DirectPlay for communication.

---
Make it work.
Make it fast.
"None of us learn in a vacuum; we all stand on the shoulders of giants such as Wirth and Knuth and thousands of others. Lend your shoulders to building the future!" - Michael Abrash[JavaGaming.org][The Java Tutorial][Slick][LWJGL][LWJGL Tutorials for NeHe][LWJGL Wiki][jMonkey Engine]
quote: Original post by Holocron
Me and some friends are currently developing a MUD using C++, we also have a working knowledge of Java colectively. Is it possable to create a GUI applet in Java that uses the C++ game as a backbone?

I was reading somewhere that is possable to do this but It wasnt very informative and I havent been to able to recover that source.

Thanks
Holocron

To answer the question instead of posting idiotic replies which aren''t really helpfull, I''ve also read that it was possible but to what extent, I don''t know. Do a search on google or any search engine you prefer to find out how.

"And that''s the bottom line cause I said so!"

Cyberdrek

Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!

"gitty up" -- Kramer
/(bb|[^b]{2})/ that is the Question -- ThinkGeek.com
Hash Bang Slash bin Slash Bash -- #!/bin/bash
[Cyberdrek | ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement