🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

compiling Windows GDI programs

Started by
2 comments, last by flucknugget 22 years, 5 months ago
What library files do I need to include to compile the GDI example programs that come with Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus? It doesn''t seem to tell me anywhere, and I keep getting a linker error whenever I try compiling.
- f l u c k y p o o
Advertisement
Are you sure you're making a Win32 Application, and not a Win32 Console? That's a common mistake people make, and the only thing i can think of because you shouldn't need to include any libraries or includes besides windows.h

On second thought, you may wanna try mmsystem.h, tho I forget exactly what that's for. darn it. I'm picjing this all up again but it's still been a while

And what's the error, exactly?

Drew Sikora
A.K.A. Gaiiden

ICQ #: 70449988
AOLIM: DarkPylat

Blade Edge Software
Staff Member, GDNet
Public Relations, Game Institute

3-time Contributing author, Game Design Methods , Charles River Media (coming GDC 2002)
Online column - Design Corner at Pixelate

NJ IGDA Chapter - NJ developers unite!! [Chapter Home | Chapter Forum]

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

What''s the linker error? What functions are missing?
All you need for normal GDI is gdi32.lib.
By default, its included when you create a project.

I''m guessing though, that this book and its examples use their own custom GDI crap, and they have their own libs they made. Find all the libs that came with the CD or whatever, and link them to your project. Even if you link the wrong ones, it will just ignore them, it wont hurt anything. Just link all of them, and see if it works. Better yet, give us the exact error message.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement