🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

problems running on winXP

Started by
0 comments, last by netanator 22 years, 5 months ago
Hello, Recently I began learning to do some game programming. To make a long story short, I went through a few OSs. Win 2K, Linux, and currently Win XP ( xmas present from the wife and kids ). I am using VC++ 6.0 Introductory Edition - supplied by Game Programming Starter Kit 4.0 and MS Direct X 7.0 SDK. I admit that I am not a Windows programming guru. I am a Java developer who is trying to make a transition away from boring corporate application development to some more interesting horizons. To get to the point - I recently installed VC++ on my machine after the XP install. All my C++ console programs run with no problems - so I know my libraries and such are set up correctly. I haven''t tried any Windows MFC-type apps, but I was able to run one of the programs from Windows Game programming for dummies, but after I entered a new one - bad news. The app compiles and links just fine, but I got a error concerning the .exe created after compilation. It is a Windows error - "the instruction at etc . . . " - I''m sure you know the type. I downloaded and installed Service Pack 5 for visual studio in the hopes that this may cure the problem, but no such luck. If anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate it because I am at a loss for where to turn. Thanks in advance! Jim
Advertisement
Need more info before we can help. The exact error message and at least a general description of what the program is supposed to do would help.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement