🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Starting Out

Started by
3 comments, last by SlpshtMike 22 years, 6 months ago
Hey you guys, I want to start learning Visual Basic but I am not sure howto begin. I own the 6.0 pro edition software already. I want to dive right in and make my first game, but I know that is probobly the wrong way to start. What kind of applications would suggest I learn how to make first? (My goal is to eventually make games.) And Where I could find resources on making these. Your help is appreciated! Thanks much- --Michael
----------------Games do not make people violent...AND IF YOU DISAGREE WITH ME I WILL KILL YOU!!!
Advertisement
Do you have any VB books or references? If not, I recommend you get some as they will be invaluable to you. I recommend Sam''s Teach Yourself Visual Basic In 24 Hours.

Before starting on games I recommend you start with some basic programs so that you can get the hang of how to use the language. If you want, make simple games, even more simple than Tetris. Guess The Number or Guess The Sequence (Mastermind) would be a simple starter to get you used to using buttons and if statements and maybe Message Boxes.

Invader X
Invader''s Realm
Well first of all you have to learn to program, you have to learn a programming language. That means you will have to be able to write at least simple applications. Can''t write a poem without knowing at least the alphabet. After that try making first some simple and small games, like tetris cloning and some simple scroller. I recommend you as well learn either OpenGL or DirectX (me personally thinks DirectX is better to learn) and make your first games using them. Just after that you may think of diving into a bigger project. Not that you can''t do that from the start but...after all i think you will turn back to what i have written above, so starting the right way will save you time and troubles.
P.S.
Do you really want to write games in Visual Basic?
Better look at C++
You don''t need to learn C++ to make good games. Since you already have VB 6.0 Pro you might as well use it. There are plenty of people here who know VB who will be able to help you if you have have questions and should you ever decide to learn C++ then there will be plenty of people here who can help you with that too.

Invader X
Invader''s Realm
I bought Sams Visual Basic in 21 Days and I will read that. Thank you for your help guys!

--Mike

Edited by - SlpshtMike on January 4, 2002 12:01:08 AM
----------------Games do not make people violent...AND IF YOU DISAGREE WITH ME I WILL KILL YOU!!!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement