🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

teach yourself directx7 in 24 hours, anyone read, and understand?

Started by
0 comments, last by postulate 22 years, 6 months ago
I have this book and I''ve been trying to read it but when they give the tid bits of source code here and there, I don''t know how to put it all together to even make a simple screen with a picture that moves with keyboard input. I feel that the void I had with graphics and programming is filled now filled or almost filled, but I can''t quite comprehend it''s difficulty I assume. If you have eyes for the blind please help me understand. if you''ve read this book try and give me some pointers, eh?
Advertisement
Its not your fault! its just the way the book is written. it assumes you already *know* how to throw together a windows application(a big mistake considering the book it''s for newbies), and thefore only goes over the DX specific stuff. my advice would be to get Windows Game Programming For Dummies not only will this book show you how to write DX apps but its also a very good intro to windows programming. With the windows concepts under your belt youll be able to understand the sams stuff.

if you''ve got a bit more money i would suggest one(or both) of the following books to learn the basics of DX and windows programming.

Tricks of The Windows Game Programming Gurus

Isometric Game Progrogramming with Direct X 7

both these books are briliiiant with the windows programming, and great game programming books.

welll thats just my $0.02 theres a zillion other books out there, just do a little research and im sure you''ll find the right for you

good luck
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. -Mark Twain

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement