🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

OpenGL / DirectX (real newbie Q Im afraid)

Started by
0 comments, last by Schpickles 22 years, 6 months ago
Hiya. I''m a full-time uni student - so I don''t get heaps of time to throw into learning the additional skills I need to learn modern programming techniques. However (like during the vacation breaks) when I do I dive right in and try to learn things as best I can. I am a mediumly good Java programmer and I am picking up C++ quite easily and quickly. I have 1 games programming book and Sam''s teach yourself DirectX book and have tried a lot of the tutorials thrown around. However, when I try to learn DirectX I get really bogged down very quickly. I have great, well-developed games projects that would be entirely do-able for an inexperienced games maker like myself, yet I keep finding that I am prevented from my ideas ever leaving the design phase because I just cannot get the hang of all the complicated things that you seem to have to do before you can actually start manipulating 3D objects when using DirectX or worrying about physics problems etc. This being the case would I be any better off with OpenGL - or is the learning curve going to be just as steep with that? I would prefer to learn DirectX if possible, but if it is holding me back then it might not be wise to keep banging my head against a brick wall. From what I have said here, does anyone have any pointers for me? Is there a vital stepping stone that I am missing here? Thanks for your help James Nicholls aka Schpickles jimschpick@yahoo.co.uk ICQ: 56780866
James Nichollsaka Schpicklesjimschpick@yahoo.co.ukICQ: 56780866
Advertisement
quote: Original post by Schpickles
This being the case would I be any better off with OpenGL - or is the learning curve going to be just as steep with that? I would prefer to learn DirectX if possible, but if it is holding me back then it might not be wise to keep banging my head against a brick wall.

Why don''t you try it? If you don''t like OpenGL, go back to DirectX. You''ll never know which one is easier for you if you haven''t tried both. See these two tutorial sites: For OpenGL, For DirectX.

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement