🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Fullscreen in Console Apps

Started by
7 comments, last by Jeff D 22 years, 6 months ago
Ive been making little Console apps for a while now. Im trying to make a little game simliar to NetHack and I just want to know how to force the screen to Fullscreen at startup. Thx Jeff Suffered seven plagues, but refused to let the slaves go free. ~ Ross Atherton Edited by - Jeff D on December 28, 2001 11:43:06 AM
Suffered seven plagues, but refused to let the slaves go free. ~ Ross Atherton
Advertisement
You have to edit the properties of the shortcut after you compile it. There''s a setting to start in fullscreen.

flucknugget
- f l u c k y p o o
Why don''t you hack up a directx fullscreen console instead? you can make it look WAY better that way..
Thx Flucknugget.

And AP right now I just want to start learning how to make Classes Inheritence and Polymorphism and use it in game programming. I dont want to learn windows, and Directx yet. Thx tho

Jeff D

Sorry to ask a question on your post, but can you give me any info on basic graphics without using directx or opengl; as you said on your posts that you are trying to make a game but are not using directx. How do you create dos graphics, or basic 2d in console mode?
[I wouldn't bother going to my website yet]

nethack is all ASCII so he''s prolly doing a textmode game in that console...

with that said, if you think that DX and Win32 is a bit daunting go fetch a old realmode compiler and make a search for mode13 a really really easy gfx mode ok a bit limited (320*200 8BPP) but easy to program for.

you could use DJGPP also but the code to get into mode13 is a bit more complicated there although it nowhere close the headache win32 can give you..
HardDrop - hard link shell extension."Tread softly because you tread on my dreams" - Yeats
Do yourself a favor goto GameTutorials.com they tell you exaactly how to program in Conslole mode functions. Its quite easy.

Jeff D

PS if ther is any mispelled words Im quite drunk. Sorry for the inconvienence.

The way you said does not make it fullscreen, but a little bigger is there a way to program it???

Thx Jeff D

Edited by - Jeff D on December 29, 2001 8:59:52 AM
quote: Original post by Jeff D
The way you said does not make it fullscreen, but a little bigger is there a way to program it???

In a word...no...not from the console app itself...think of it this way:

When Windows runs a console app...it''s like running a game system emulator...the game itself has no control over the emulator...but Windows (and the PC operator) does....the functionality of console apps running in fullscreen mode was ''built-in''...meaning the console itself always ''thinks'' it operates in such a mode...it''s just that Windows intercepts the console display info and converts it for it''s own meens of screen display...the console has no idea that this is happening...to display a console app in full screen, you have to change settings in windows so it won''t intercept the console display data...this is easy enough to do from Windows...a right click on your app will bring up the ''properties'' and somewhere in there you should find a "run in full-screen" check box...however if you install the app on a different computer you will either have to do this again, or write a windows ''install'' program to change the settings for you

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement