🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Suggestion for posters in this forum

Started by
4 comments, last by ShadeStorm 22 years, 6 months ago
It is aggravating to me to see "Newbie" or "Beginner" in the title of a post in this forum. I appreciate the fact that you are a newbie. I consider myself one, when it comes to game specific programming. The thing is, everyone knows you are a newbie. Stop calling yourselves idiots. Why describe your question as "dumb"? This forum is FOR beginners. We all understand this, so ask your question. When I see something like the above self-derogatory words in a post, I expect to see someone describing their killer game idea, telling me they "have it all worked out. I only have one problem...how do I declare a variable?" See, THAT would be an idiot question from a dumb newbie beginner. (Please note: the question itself isn''t dumb. Taken as a whole, it has no chance. The idea will never get off the ground.) So, show a little pride in your brain AND ours. We don''t need a reminder of which forum we are in, and YOU need to stop cutting yourself down. ShadeStorm, the Day_Glo Fish
ShadeStorm, the Day_Glo Fish
Advertisement
Amen !!

btw: how do you declare a var??

Tripped on his own grenade
Tripped on his own grenade
First you say that you know they''re newbies, then you say that by calling themselves newbies, they''re calling themselves idiots.

I agree that putting "newbie" and "beginner" in the title of posts can get repetitive, but you need to be more careful with your choice of words
I didn't say any such thing. Would you care to point out where you got that from? I went back and read my original post, but I don't see what you are referring to.

*I see what you mean now. No, you misunderstand. Often in the same "I'm a newbie" post they refer to their question as "dumb" or coming from "an idiot". I meant to literally stop calling themselves names, as I said. I wasn't making some obscure link between the terms.

Edited by - ShadeStorm on December 27, 2001 8:37:03 PM
I think we''ve got a little psychology going on here.

I suspect that having the "dumb" style title is a way to garner support and a useful response. We programmers are a touchy bunch and if a newbie asks something that he/she suspects is well known to the rest of us, naturally, they don''t want us to be showering them with insults. Newbies have probably been burnt down before in other forums and newsgroups. They just don''t want the same treatment here.

Its just a defensive reaction. Newbies know they''re newbies. They are just sick of being told so. Intimating as such in the title of their posts is a way to head off any such insulting replies, seeing as their questions probably will be rather simple.

RM.

Tron Software

-=Kicking Butt and Writing Code=-
I dont really care if people call themselves beginners or newbies, but when they cut themselves down that just makes me less likely to help them.

Invader X
Invader''s Realm

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement