🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

VB MMORPG.. Users Online list?

Started by
9 comments, last by Maiku 22 years, 6 months ago
Hey everyone, I am working on an MMORPG in Visual Basic and I am trying to make a box that shows the users that are currently online... anyone know how to go about doing this? thnx --Mike
Advertisement
When someone comes online add him to the box. o.O
err maybe I should add the word automatically.
quote: Original post by Maiku
...I am trying to make a box that shows the users that are currently online... anyone know how to go about doing this? thnx

ehm...

lstOnlineUsers.additem sGuyWhoJustSignedOn

complicated stuff, this vb...

-eldee
;another space monkey;
-eldee;another space monkey;[ Forced Evolution Studios ]
I mean.. need to make it so when a user logs on.. it adds their username to the list.
Call me negative, but if you can''t do this yet, then you will have a lot of trouble finishing your game. And I can almost guarantee that you will not finish it.

Sorry that this isn''t answering the question and it sounds like a personal attack, but my intention is just to tell you that you could learn VB better by doing some simpler stuff. After writing a few other games, you will learn what your limits are, and how to solve problems, then you will know when you are ready to start your MMORPG.

Trying is the first step towards failure.
Trying is the first step towards failure.
quote: Original post by Maiku
I mean.. need to make it so when a user logs on.. it adds their username to the list.

Which part are you having trouble with, adding a string to an edit-box, detecting when someone logs in, figuring out how to let people log in (what''s a server?), or determining what thier name is?

quote: Original post by ragonastick
Call me negative, but if you can''t do this yet, then you will have a lot of trouble finishing your game.

MMORPG and VB kinda tips you off...

- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
Detecting when someone comes on and then grabbing their name... I know howto add it to the box.
Thats a very big question. Your server program has to be listening for open connections, waiting for a client to connect, then verify the clients username/password, then log him in to the database of online users, then add it to the list on the form. I am SURE if you cannot do this already you are in no shape to finish this online game you wish to make. Sorry.
MSN Messenger: Thomas_Szafran@hotmail.com
you have learnt a very lot in just over a week then(hmmmmm)

dude, you gotta slow down. make some little vb apps then after a bit work up to bigger, more complicated apps. try making some games like pong or something in vb first.

alan

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement