🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

3D Modeler?

Started by
5 comments, last by brewknowc 22 years, 6 months ago
Hi, I know c/c++ well as well as java/vb and have recently gotten started learning windows game programming via the TWGPG book. I love programming, especially games (i''ve made a few non-directX games in the past). I was told the book doesn''t go into 3d much, so I was wondering how I could get a head start at least learning the modeling software, so that when the time comes that I learn direct3d, I wont have to spend more time learning the modeling software. Does anyone know any 3d modeling software that is fairly easy to use and free? Any advice is welcome, thanks - Free Your Mind -
- Free Your Mind -
Advertisement
Just yesterday I wrote a tutorial on my site about creating good models in under $20. Actually you could do it for free but you couldn't use the models. Go to http:\\keycode.cjb.net and click on the tutorials section and then on the link entitled Creating Good Models in 20 dollars or less. By the way, tell me what you think of my site, its really new and I never told anyone about it.

Edited by - kmsixpence on December 22, 2001 4:46:19 PM
Before I got gmax, I had a 3d studio max 3.0 warez version. Yeah, i knew they weren''t quite legal but after gmax, I completely deleted and removed it from my system. Plus it was unstable. Another good modeler is truespace. Personally though, i don''t like the design of it but maybe its just because i am used to gmax and 3dsmax. Truespace is less than 300$ i believe. Another okay program is Animator but I don''t really like it cuz it doesn''t have nearly as many features as gmax. If you go to the news page at the top and then click previous articles, some1 wrote an article entitled "Game programming on the cheap" or something like that. Its really good and if you didn''t already see it, read it.
quote: Original post by brewknowc
Hi, I know c/c++ well as well as java/vb and have recently gotten started learning windows game programming via the TWGPG book. I love programming, especially games (i''ve made a few non-directX games in the past). I was told the book doesn''t go into 3d much, so I was wondering how I could get a head start at least learning the modeling software, so that when the time comes that I learn direct3d, I wont have to spend more time learning the modeling software. Does anyone know any 3d modeling software that is fairly easy to use and free? Any advice is welcome, thanks

hi!
I have quite a bit of 3D modelling experience, if u need my help, any time man !
just mail me !

- Free Your Mind -

How about ZModeler?

http://www.zmodeler.com

I''ve used it myself to make cars for a few games, and I think it''s an easy-to-use and free modeler. Worth a try.
I coulda sworn i posted something in this thread about Blender, but I guess not. Anyways it''s a free modeler with a kickass interface and a game engine to boot. Check it out.

Drew Sikora
A.K.A. Gaiiden

ICQ #: 70449988
AOLIM: DarkPylat

Blade Edge Software
Staff Member, GDNet
Public Relations, Game Institute

3-time Contributing author, Game Design Methods , Charles River Media (coming GDC 2002)
Online column - Design Corner at Pixelate

NJ IGDA Chapter - NJ developers unite!! [Chapter Home | Chapter Forum]

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

Hi, I installed blender, but the program just baffled me... but now i found the tutorials on the web and will learn how to use it. I just have one question... In what way/format do you save/export objects from blender to be used in a direct3D game?
Thanks

- Free Your Mind -
- Free Your Mind -

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement