🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

WIN32 newb

Started by
5 comments, last by lucinpub 22 years, 6 months ago
I am just having a little prob getting the linker working on my first win32 program. It tells me that _main is an unresolved external. Do I need to define a main along with WInMain or is it something else I do not see or know about? Help would be appreciated....
Lucas Henekswww.ionforge.com
Advertisement
If you are making a Win32 console application, you will need a main(). If you''re making a Win32 application, you need a WinMain(). That''s about it (even if you can select which one to use with pragmas and such).
thats what I thought, but for some reason it still won''t link up. Is there any headers I need besides windows.h and windowsx.h? Ive been looking through the win32 programming tuts I have found and don''t think that I missed anything. Ive set up the WNDCLASSEX, registered it, called CreateWindowEX() and written my message handler. #includes are windows and windowsx. Anthing missing?
What compiler are you using? Do you have it set to compile a GUI app? You might have it set to compile a console app. Double check to make certain it''s set to compile a GUI app.

‘But truth's a menace, science a public danger.’ Brave New World, Aldous Huxley
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
aha! didn''t realize I might have to do that. ( sorry, I''m a java guy, trying to learn C++ and win32 at the same time). I am looking through my Visual C++ 6.0 pro. Anyone know where to set it to compile a gui app? I will continue looking in the mean time.
i think what you want to do is this:
when you start a new project, select "windows application" instead of "windows console application".
they are completely different.
yeah, I kinda figured it out... now to migrate what I had been doing to the new project...
Thanks to all who replied.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement