🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Two SDL Issues. Need help.

Started by
2 comments, last by Tszafran 22 years, 6 months ago
Hi, I just starting programming with SDL and think its a excellent library to start off with. But I was wondering if there is any examples of mouse cursor use in SDL and about print out text to the screen. Could anyone help me out?
MSN Messenger: Thomas_Szafran@hotmail.com
Advertisement
Is there any SDL experts that could answer this question?
MSN Messenger: Thomas_Szafran@hotmail.com
Someone gave an example of how to use true type fonts with SDL in the Cone3D forum a while ago. There aren''t many posts there, so you can try looking, it should be easy to find.

SDL''s built-in cursors are actually pretty easy to use, but they aren''t very versatile. My advice is to render your own cursor as if it were a sprite (and hide the normal SDL cursor).

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
with SDL_ttf, you can use .ttf fonts. The documentation for SDL_ttf is pretty scarce, but the library is really rather simple. You will need to download and build the freetype library also, but freetype comes with build files for most platforms.

with the SDL cursor stuff, there is typically a problem when it it used with fullscreen applications, and so the normal way of doing things is to make your own when in fullscreen. I use SDL non-fullscreen, and i''ve had no problems with the cursor, but when i do fullscreen stuff, the cursor either blinks or just doesn''t get shown at all.

Get off my lawn!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement