🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

FPS RPG Immersive sim project.

Started by
4 comments, last by Frenchyboy 4 days, 15 hours ago

Hey there! I'm newer to the game development scene but I have been working on games for about 7 years now. I suck horribly at it. But, I have an idea and I've had this idea for quite a while now and I know exactly what I want, but I need help because it is a very big game idea. I don't want to pitch the game to some AAA company because they are going to turn it into a money making machine instead of what it's meant to be. I also don't want my idea to be stolen, however I will share a little bit of details to get you interested (perhaps?)

The game - or really the story - is meant to be able to be controlled completely by the player. It is very player-centered in that it's a VIDEOGAME and not just a playable movie. So, when the player makes a choice, something actually happens differently for each choice the player makes in the game. I'll give two instances, the first being a small and simple instance and the second being a large and complex one that has more to do with the story.

The first example: The player encounters a door. The player may blow up the door, but that will alert a bunch of guards that are nearby. The player can pick the lock and sneak in, but the player needs lockpicks. (Same with keys). The player can completely avoid the door and go into a vent found on the roof, but there are deadly creatures in the vents that will not hesitate to kill you, and if you make too much noise the guards will find you and you'll have to fight them.

The second example: There is a character you believe to be your friend. you can either let him live, be their friend, only to be betrayed by this character later. Or, you could kill this character and betray them early, making it toward where you do not have to kill them later. Or, you could figure out early that this character will betray you but decide to keep them alive; for now… each of these decisions lead to a different outcome in the game. And it's not just “oh haha he said something different this time” it's, “Oh shit, I had no idea he was a boss fight!” Kinda deal. Each playthrough of the game should be different.

That's just one example. If you liked that, I'm sure you'll like the other aspects of the game that I'd like to implement. I know this is a lot of reading but bear with me. The base story is about the Illuminati and conspiracy stuff (more info in Gmail). If you're still interested, contact me @ dystro101@gmail.com.

I'd also like to say that I'd like to make this game in the Unity engine, but I am open to engine changes (like to Unreal for graphics purposes). Here are the skills I need:

1. Programmers - yes, I can program. Am I good at it ? No. That's why I need them.
  2. Modelers
  3. 3D texturers for those 3D models.
  4. Animators.
  5. Writers (I have the base story written down but there will be a lot of missions so more writers the better).
  6. VAs
  7. Level designers
  8. UI designers (there is a complex inventory system that I'd like UI designers to work on with the programmers.

I literally need ANY of these skills and we can build a team from there. Of course any money I make with this project will be shared with all participants. I am very hopeful for this game idea, and yeah it's been something I've been dreaming up for about ten years now and it's taken a couple attempts to do it myself but I definitely need a team.

Advertisement

Here some basic problems with your posting:

1. what you describe is nothing new at all, but basic RPG / adventure mechanics and gameplay
  2. as you have no experience in game-dev “I suck horribly at it” you are not in a position to lead a game-dev team or actually contribute something to it's production
  3. no one will with any skills or experience will work for free for you, so unless you have a 6-digit USD budget available, your dream will not come true

You should actually go and “pitch your ideas to some AAA companies” with an NDA, so your ideas “dont get stolen”. From their feed back -or lack thereof- you can then extrapolate the chances your game ever gets made.

@undefined Why are you so mad about it lol? and also this is mainly for fun, the STORY is what I'm worried about getting stolen not the mechanics, and sure it's nothing new I never said it was a new idea I mean to say that this style of games has been lost to time and I want to make something cool…? Thanks for the feedback, but it really just seems like you're passive aggressive with your comment. Plus, I may say that I “Suck” at game development but I have a lot of experience in it and know how to do it. What I mean when I say I “suck” at it, is that, I suck at trying to do everything by myself. I kinda just need help.

Frenchyboy said:
Why are you so mad about it

He never expressed any anger. He wasn't passive aggressive, either. He was just pointing out why your expectations are at odds with the realities of game development. All those people you hope to attract to your project are (as he said) not going to throng to you. It's recommended that you first try to help someone else (here in the Hobby Projects board) with their project. That will be a learning experience for you. Good luck with your endeavors, whether on your own project or someone else's.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

@Tom Sloper 🤓☝

Advertisement