🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Need guidance to plan my game development learning plan.

Started by
2 comments, last by Tom Sloper 1 year, 1 month ago

Hi all,

I have recently started my game dev journey. It just started as a hobby but now I enjoy it so much that I want to create good games and monetise them. I am mostly interested in mobile games. I started my journey with this course on Udemy “Complete C# unity game development” by GameDev.tv. I must say it was a good course that has taught me unity fundamentals and basic C# programming.

Now I don't know where to go forward, what to learn and how to learn. To identify this I decided on what type of games I want to build. I want to focus on 2D mobile games only for now. These could simple board games (cards, monopoly etc.), puzzle platforms (like "inside" in 2D or “inmost”) and/or simple simulation games like town builder (isometric, tycoon games). My ultimate goal would be to build an online multiplayer game like a 2D version of mariokart.

Now, how should I approach learning further. There seems to be endless topics and advanced things to learn. Should I take more courses? If yes which ones? Please guide me how should I learn so that I can create my own original games.

Thanks.

Advertisement

@rishabh91 It seems you haven't made a single game yet, if so:

Go ahead and start on one, anything is good! Just make sure your scope is in check. The first game I really tried to make and finish was way out of scope for me, and I was lucky to even finish it. It took 100+ hours over a summer break to make it.

None

gamechfo said:
It seems you haven't made a single game yet,

That's not how I read it:

rishabh91 said:
It just started as a hobby but now I enjoy it so much

So, @rishabh91 , how many games have you made so far?

rishabh91 said:
Should I take more courses? If yes which ones?

You should continue to learn, and taking courses is a really good way to do that. Look at the course offerings and decide which one(s) you want to take. You don't need us to advise you on your learning path.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement