🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

About a career in the game industry

Started by
6 comments, last by frob 1 year, 4 months ago

Hi All,

Currently I am in India doing a simple IT job on a random technology. It has been around 1.4 years now. I have this passion for games and have created some using Unity and was learning UE4 with C++ recently. I was thinking of pursuing a career in the game industry for the long term and would like some opinions from all of you on the matter. I was on the track of learning and getting certified on Python as well. I would gladly listen to all of your opinions as right now I am unsure if I am taking the right decision.

Thanks!

Advertisement

What about it are you questioning? Is it what you want to do? If you want to work in the field, start applying.

@undefined Hi, thanks for the reply. Actually I had some peers questioning the long term aspect of this industry, hence the question of if it is a good decision for the long term.

Soumyadip said:
I had some peers questioning the long term aspect of this industry, hence the question

You should have led with that.

You can live your life according to your dreams and desires, or live it according to your friends' doubts, fears, and naysaying. Your choice.

Nothing is certain in this world. The industry has been going strong (except for the Atari Crash in ‘83) since the late 1970s. It’s still going strong today.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

@undefined Hi, thank you for your insight! Just one more question. Would Python be a great language to learn for this?

Python is a great language to learn programming with, and is used professionally in many industries, but it is not one of the main choices for game development. For that, your choices are C# or C++.

Soumyadip said:
Would Python be a great language to learn for this?

There are plenty of jobs in the industry which use Python. Tools and infrastructure development especially. However, if you're going to apply to work as a programmer you need more tools in your toolbelt. If you only know Python realize you're competing against other developers, many may know 3, 5, even 10+ other programming languages. You might still eventually find a job, but you're unlikely to do well against competition. It is also fairly rare for passionate programmers to stick with only a single programming language.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement