🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

i need help... badly.

Started by
19 comments, last by Aybe One 1 year, 5 months ago

i cant seem to make a game.

its hard to put it into one paragraph of my problems, i know coding, but it never seems to work or it seems like too much work, even python and lua seem hard at times, and im making a huge game for my first game because i cant focus on a small game because small games are bad.

other wise, im really good at art and decent at music composing,

i just cant code correctly or stick to a idea .

i really need help.

i can make a world, and i can make art, maybe music, but i have no idea how to actally make a game. i know how to code, but not how to make a game…

please help me.

ive been "working" on this to no avail for a YEAR. all of 2022.

im thinking of giving up, but i cant, its a addiction…

my mind hurts.

None

Advertisement

i found this in the learn about game dev.

It is easy to get frustrated with game development. Our recommendation is to set realistic expectations, start small, and build up your skills.

you see, thats the problem. i cant

None

@artdog , you need to specify what kind of help you are requesting.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

artdog said:
ive been "working" on this to no avail for a YEAR.

A single year isn't much in game dev.

artdog said:
im making a huge game for my first game because i cant focus on a small game because small games are bad.

You can't start with a large game. It must be small. Because game dev is hard, small is already hard enough for a start.

If you start with small games (Pacman, Breakout, Asteroids, etc.) you can get this done actually, which limits your frustration on the feeling of being stuck or having no progress.
You also learn the basics and can build up from there. You could try something like Super Mario or Doom next.

So what kind of game do you work on? Could you reduce it to some essential minimum? Do you use some engine?

If feasible, starting with a small game can indeed make for a much easier journey, I do think.

Remember: these small games don't have to be the most interesting things in the world! They can be little throwaway experiences: a mini-game to try out movement; a prototype to figure out shooting; a demo to show enemy-behaviour; and so on.

(One option that might aid with motivation towards a smaller project might be to join a game-jam: that way there's a bit of extrinsic motivation, and (depending on the jam) some sort of prompt to spark inspiration.

Another might be to look for tutorials that build up whole (if small) games: that way there's a structure to follow, and a reason to be making the game other than the game itself.

(I have such a tutorial for the Panda3D engine, if it might help--but of course if you're using another engine or no engine at all then it's likely not a good fit.))

If you're not going to work on a small game, then I would suggest breaking up your larger game into small milestones: maybe start with just getting a character moving about the world, and that movement feeling good; then maybe implement shooting (or whatever simple mechanic the game might have); then add a single enemy, and allow it to be killed; then give the enemy simple behaviour; and so on.

That way you have some tangible progress, and the task of building something big is broken down into (hopefully-)more-manageable pieces.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

I'll help, I'm kinda naive so it took me like 4-5 years to fully learn how to code, make a game etc.

I can show you some easy tricks to help your dev skills

None

artdog said:
im making a huge game for my first game because i cant focus on a small game because small games are bad

My simple advice is - participate in a game jam. Shorter (few days) or longer (weeks at most). The point of game jam is - to FINISH a game. Why? Simply because that way you will understand what all processes you need to go through to get finished project, something you can sign as “I made this” and let the world experience it.

My current blog on programming, linux and stuff - http://gameprogrammerdiary.blogspot.com

I'm not going to tell you to write a short game. If you need to work on a big project in order to feel inspired, work on a big project.

However, the best way to finish a big project is not to rush in and try to do everything at once. The best way to finish a big project is to take some small piece of that big project, finish that, and then keep adding new elements to that until you have finished your big project. Try to keep the project playable at all stages. Having a playable prototype in front of you can help you keep your focus. Keep playing what you already have until you find something that's worth improving, then improve it. Having a playable prototype also means that if you really do need to give up on the project, at least you'll have something to show for your efforts.

@undefined good advice “a light breeze”

heres a fesible question. if i only know lua, what engine should i use, and secondly, what motivates you to make games and balance life and game dev.

None

artdog said:
if i only know lua

then go and learn a real language first, linux and gcc is your friend

artdog said:
what motivates you to make games

money, obviously

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement